Like Tree3Likes

Moving to hong kong with small kids

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Moving to hong kong with small kids

Hi everyone

My wife and I decided to move to hong kong beginning of 2012
    We have been in hong kong before but now we have a 2 years old girl and a 5 months little boy.
    We are planing to stay in hong kong for 5 years maybe more.
    We are looking for a nice place to be with the kids
    Visited couple of place in DNA but
    honestly did not like it to much.
    We prefer to be near Kowloon tong station, we are looking for a town house with a small garden,
    Does anyone know a agent there ?

We will prefer to be in Kowloon

Sorry wanted to say that we visited some apartments in discovery bay,
    But we think it is to far from everything

The schooling will dictate where you end up living though
    What's your budget?
    Not many townhouses in kowloonside if at all, village houses yes.

DNA?

if you want to live near kowloon tong, then when you get here, go to kowloon tong mtr station and walk around. you shouldn't have any problems finding an agent. real estate agents are like 7-11 and mcdonald's... on every street corner, all over hk.

Hi
    Thanks for the quick answer guys
    Village house this is what we are after.
    For rent we don t find any.
    Budget up to 65.000 a month

$65k and you can't find anything? our rent is less than 1/3 of that and we have a village house in sai kung.

problem is this: there are no village houses in kowloon tong. they are only in the new territories.

Hi carang

Sounds like you have a nice and cheap place.
    Can you tell me more about the aria ?
    We are a bit afraid to be alone without any other expat arround.
    And to far from the city.

sai kung is in the new territories. it is not in the middle of the hub-bub of hk. it has beaches, hiking, a friendly expat & local community, decent local schools, ESF schools and a few "international" kindergartens as well as good local kindergartens. there are quite a few restaurants, thai, pizza, chinese, american, sri lankan etc.

to get to 'the city', you can either drive (45 minutes from my door to central) or take the minibus/double decker bus to an mtr station and then train from there. you can either go to hang hau station or to wu kai sha station.

there are minibuses/double deckers to: mongkok, hang hau, choi hung, kowloon bay, causeway bay (only a few per day), kwun tong, shatin, ma on shan, diamond hill.

it's not the life for everyone, but if you like a laid back lifestyle, where you can get to know your neighbours, it may be for you.

sai kung has a good mix of locals and expats.

we, personally, live WAYYYYY out in the boonies(hence the extraordinarily low rent), but you could easily get a beautiful, new 2100' house with a garden and a car park for your budget. you'd probably still have $15-20k spare~ the house immediately in front of us is vacant, has been completely redone and they are asking $25k if memory serves. we are about 15 minutes drive from sai kung town itself. but our village is 90% expat.

Thanks again for your quick answer.
    Sounds very nice, we will come to visit this village when we are in hong kong.
    Do you have kids ?
    Are they also happy to be there ?

my two kids were born in hk. i'm canadian. i have lived in hk for almost 17 years, in that time, i have lived in over 18 places (love to move!). my husband is local. yes, my kids like living here. they have spae to ride their bikes, we have space for a trampoline, they each have their own rooms, we pay a reasonable rent (no company housing allowance for us). my kids are going to be 5 & 7 in february.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast