Like Tree8Likes

Using multiple agents?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Using multiple agents?

Hi,

I've done a search on this topic and maybe I'm not using the right keywords.

Is it OK to use two agents when searching for an apartment in Hong Kong? Will I end up paying commission twice if they both show me the same apartment and I end up choosing it? Anyone have any experience on this subject? I really appreciate the feedback, thanks.

If you signed agreement with both agents and both agents showed you the same flat and you choose it then you pay commission to both. easy way around this is to have your partner or a friend sign at one agent and you sign at the other agent, this is what we do

If you've seen the flat with one agent, don't sign to see it with another agent.

Normally you have to sign a form before visiting which says that this particular agent is the exclusive agent for a particular unit, they will actually list each place individually. If another agent offers you the same place just tell them to leave it off the list.
    Should it happen that the same place ends up on another list just tell them once you realize that you have already seen the same place, I am sure they would be willing to strike it out; just tell them before you decide to rent through your other agent to avoid any conflict.

Sometimes you may not want to sign or the agent may not ask, in which case it would be your choice which agent to use eventually if you decide to rent a place, and without the agreement other agents won't be able to charge you (if they ever learned who actually rented the place).

Good advice thanks! I'll make sure to be careful.

I have used 3 different agents, only 1 requiered to sign such a form, with all the apartments listed. So it depends, the other ones was recommended from my company though, which maybe made a difference.

All 4 of the agents I used had these forms, but I made them aware that I was using more than one agent. Made them more efficient funnily enough

Just play the "dumb gweilo" game with the agents and tell them you dont sign anything until you have found the place you want and ready to sign up. Why bother signing anything, when there is another agent 5 meters away in the next shop competing for your business? There are more agents than 7-11's here at the moment.

There are a number of opportunites for us expats living in HK to play "dumb gweilo" and get away with it quite easily. This is one of them. Dont spoil these opportunities.

dear giant likes this.

I'd prefer to sign myself. That way the person who actually shows me the place gets the commission. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to sign? For example, one of the guys I used was crap but another was great. The great one showed me a flat (the one I live in now) which popped up later on the crap one's list. If I hadn't signed, crap one could have claimed undeserved commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I'd prefer to sign myself. That way the person who actually shows me the place gets the commission. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to sign? For example, one of the guys I used was crap but another was great. The great one showed me a flat (the one I live in now) which popped up later on the crap one's list. If I hadn't signed, crap one could have claimed undeserved commission.
    The second you walk into an agents front door, they try to lock you into as many properties as they can without doing an ounce of work. Its a strange tactic to me which is probably illegal in many other countries, and I dont really understand your great guy/crap guy example as a way of defending this system. Im the one paying commission at the time of signing the lease, and I am perfectly capable of signing it in great guys office without crap guy claiming anything.

I would actually turn your agrument upside down and say that the current system of signing stupid forms the minute you walk in a door is a way for crap/lazy guy to lock you into a place without doing anything. Then great guy who does all the hard work for you gets nothing.
    dear giant and logmaster like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast