Like Tree6Likes

Serviced Apartments near Shatin or Kowloon Tong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ok, you have visited hk and have never seen a roach... you are right. those of us who actually live here year in, year out (i've been here almost 17 years) don't know what we are talking about....

(i'm also from canada)

Ok, so I noticed that some comments in this forum (not only in my thread) are pretty harsh. I mean, people who come on this forum to post questions about HK (I agree that sometimes the questions are not very clear as the most posters are not 100% clear what to expect when moving into a new foreign country) may ask confusing questions, so, if you don't wanna help, then I'd greatly appreciate it if you just keep your negative comments for yourself as they do not help at all. You do not help anyone by attacking people here just because they don't know much about HK. That's why we are here on this forum to ask maybe stupid questions! Duh!

Yes, I do know that MOS is in Shatin but as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the Horizon Suite Hotel is a bit too far north-east for our liking, so I'm looking for other options near Shatin station, or further south towards Kowloon.
    And to those who live in a cockroach infested hole, too bad for you! That's your own fault then if you simply accept to share your home with roaches and other bugs, as I just spoke to some relatives in HK and they confirmed to me that they have never seen a single roach inside their homes... So, I do believe that roaches are not in every home in HK.

I have lived in a high rise apartment in the New Territories for several years and have not had a problem with cockroaches at all even during the worst Summers. I do get the odd one now and again but no infestation. Keeping the garbage bins cleared regularly helps a lot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Travelbee, there are no other options there. Your other options are in Kowloon or elsewhere in New Territories.

As for roaches, no one here lives in a roach infested hole. But don't make the mistake of thinking anywhere is roach free. People have had them in some of the highest buildings, you may see one or 2 in your place at some time. They are everywhere in this climate and get in where they like. That's what people are mentioning here.

Satay Sue likes this.

I lived in Yau Mei Tai in a newly renovated low rise apartment block I between the rundown blocks you see everywhere. Only saw one or two cockroches which were small. When in Sydney I saw bigger and alot more. I now live on the mainland and haven't seen one.

If working in sha tin, why not try mong kok or hung hom for serviced apartments. both are on the KCR line that goes through sha tin. out of the two, mong kok is not for the faint hearted.

don't worry about the percieved 'mean' comments. they are not. people are trying to be helpful but you find that most folk on here get upset about anything that disturbs their universe (see moving on buses v mtr).

as for roaches, hit and miss. I have been in three apartments. one got pretty badly hit (our fault to not see the signs), one had the occassional one here and there, and current apartment has had none. keeping the place clean helps. anyway not as bad as I experienced in Beijing, when they were everywhere.

Re the roach thing - what people mean is that is possible to have them wherever you live, not that they live in an infested "hole". Nor can it have anything to do with cleanliness.
    As shenwen says, people are not being mean, just trying to help. You are getting really good advice here, even if it's not what you want to hear....

i wasn't being harsh. i simply said that in my first post "roaches are everywhere" and it is not a sign of filth.

you then told me that you had not experienced that, therefore, you knew otherwise.

i have lived here a long time and in MANY locations (i love moving). i have seen roaches in every single place i've lived. i do not live in filth. this is a sub-tropical climate and roaches exist here.

i only ever try to be helpful, but when a newcomer asks for advice, receives it then says we are wrong and they know better, it kind of grates.

sorry, if i appeared rude in my second remark. i was merely pointing out that someone who actually lived here might know better than someone who had visited a couple of times.

MovingIn07 likes this.

ps> roaches are generally nocturnal, so perhaps your friends have just never seen them?

and no, i don't live in a hole and never have.

roaches climb in through pipes & drainage, through open doors/windows, under doors if there is any kind of space, in through balconies etc.

If you get bugged (pun intended) by people giving you helpful advice for free, good luck when you get here, and I mean that in the kindest way possible.