Like Tree69Likes

Anyone living in Park Island now who can share some feedback?

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    Anyway, if you consider using bus or
    MTR, add at least 25 to 30 minutes from Tsing Yi with walking and waiting, not the advertised 15 minutes.
    Interesting. The defence of PI's remoteness is the ferry to central. But what if you don't want to go to central? How is transport then? Doesn't sound too great.

Are you saying the bus from PI to Tsing yi took you 25-30 minutes?
    Or is that including the time you waited at the wrong bus stop ?

Last edited by SiuMaiTaiTai; 30-01-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuMaiTaiTai:
    Are you saying the bus from PI to Tsing yi took you 25-30 minutes?
    Or is that including the time you waited at the wrong bus stop ?
    It took me 25 minutes from Tsing Yi with the wait for the bus.

I arrived at the correct bus stop at the TY station and waited 8 minutes for the bus to arrive. Then the bus took 14 minutes to arrive at Park Island main gate. 22 minutes already. Then there was bus stop 1, then there was bus stop 2, then there was the final bus stop at the plaza. 3 minutes I guess, when I checked the time at arrival I had about 25 minutes total.

Now if you'd have arrived in Tsing Yi by MTR, then you'd have to add at least another 5 minutes to walk from the platform to the bus station. If you commute twice per day (morning and evening), it's 1h already for Tsing Yi <> Park Island.

I am living 5 minutes walking distance away from the MTR station, can't beat that.
    Last edited by 100LL; 30-01-2012 at 05:00 PM.

It took 14 minutes to go from the bus station to get to the main gate / toll booth?
    Bus stops 1/2? Do you mean within the island or you're saying there are other stops off the island other than the destination ? Genuinely a bit confused !

It took 14 minutes to go from the bus station to get to the main gate / toll booth?
    Bus stops 1/2? Do you mean within the island or you're saying there are other stops off the island other than the destination ? Genuinely a bit confused !
    I think I can answer - he means 14 minutes from Tsing Yi to Park Island main gate (maybe you are thinking he illustrates the opposite route!?)

The bus starts in Tsing Yi, at the MTR station. The first stop (1) is right after the Park Island main gate on top of the beach. Then there is another stop (2) on Ma Wan on Pak Lam Road (there may be two actually, but not in my case today). Then the last and final stop (3) was at the Plaza.

I understand you are living on Park Island, so given that you took that bus probably before, is that really so difficult to understand? Genuinely a bit confused!

All I am saying is that official time is 15 minutes, but if you add wait (frequency around 10 minutes) and walk to bus stop, it's much more than that.
    Last edited by 100LL; 30-01-2012 at 05:29 PM.

ahhhhhh that makes MUCH more sense! I was feeling totally senile then, I was thinking of the journey from PI > Tsing yi and was like wtf is he/she on about

That sounds about right, other than 2 things.
    1 being that when you live someone, you get used to a time table and you know when to get the bus so you don't have to wait long (The TY bus is every every 6 minutes anyway, 4 during rush hr)
    2 being that the 'commute' times of getting to and from the bus stop depends on where on the island you live. For me, I literally live 2 minutes walk away from the last TY bus stop before it leaves but to get the ferry I have to walk further etc and someone living deep in the village would have a much longer walk to most of the transport here.

This is more for people reading who might be interested in PI, not you 100 in particular, I know you are happy where you are !
    re: plane noises. I have to agree it is quite noisy when you're outdoors, I can't compare to other places under the flight path but the only thing I can add is that where I am in my flat I can't hear it that much indoors and it doesn't really bother me as much as say, car noises do.
    Also, I assume this will depend on which building you live in what floor and where you face, the wind etc. But yeah anyone that says there is no noise is just making meaningless noise because duh, it's under a flight path !

Dogs. Yeah there are a lot of dogs here, but a lot of them aren't living here as Ma wan is a bit of a popular destination for dog owners (I guess like Sai Kung?) that doesn't make a difference to tourists but as a resident, there is a huge difference as they don't walk their dogs in the private/residential areas or even as far as the village. Honestly on the weekends you might think it was something similar to Pet World in Yuen Long!

And yeah of course Tsing Yi is more convenient than PI for commuting, I don't think anyone can honestly dispute that (apart from maybe Randy ) but Tsing yi for the same standard of apartments is much more expensive from what I've seen so really you can't compare in that way, it's just all pros and cons, for me I love the environment as a dog owner and couple. It would be rubbish if I were a dog hater and was single and wanted to mingle etc.

Anyway, don't know why I felt the need to write all that but I guess it is for the 'benefit' of anyone interested in living in Ma Wan as I like to think I'm not a luny and a bit more balanced in my perspective and most of the 'reviews' on here are love it or hate it (mostly hate it!) so a bit of balance I think.

And now for tea....

Last edited by SiuMaiTaiTai; 30-01-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Satay Sue likes this.

One thing I like about pi is that the ferries are always on time. You know pretty much to the second when they will depart and you can plan your travel accordingly. I usually arrive a few mins before to be on the safe side and it's two mins walk from my apartment to the ferry. The busses on pi come every 5 or so minutes so for them I never use any timetable. The exception is the shuttle to the airport which comes every half hour.

We went to Park Island once. My only thought was how odd it would be to live on a bridge footing. In other countries we've lived in you couldn't give houses away in such a location;

1.) Under a massive motor way bridge.
    2.) Under a flight path.
    3.) Inaccessible by car.
    4.) Crap/naff tourist attraction that means it's only real selling point is completely swamped by couples having wedding pictures taken every weekend.
    5.) Let's be honest, it's not any cheaper than many much better situated NT locations is it?

bookblogger, Skyhook and shenwen like this.

Here we go again.....

PI is good for some, bad for some.

Ppl are adults and can decide for themselves.

I do not live there, am not much of a fan but 10.000 ppl or so like it.

Good on them.

Satay Sue likes this.