Like Tree69Likes

Anyone living in Park Island now who can share some feedback?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by katfroggatt
    Thank you everyone for your kind insights! Really appreciate it. I do like most of what Park Island has to offer but i have 3 reservations:

1. I do get sea sick (even worse after my being pregnant with my son and now its stuck with me and its even worse than before) so im kinda restricted to taking the ferry into central.

2. We will be planning for #2 sometime this year and i am worried that if i have an emergency i cannot get access to a taxi; unless the management there has a way to allow a taxi into the island cos im pregnant? Any advise or experience on that please?

3. I didnt see alot of restaurants or cafes there although thats not a big concern compared to the other 2 points above. BTW has anyone tried ordering pizza and getting it delivered? Any issues there?
    Regarding pizza on park island see: Living on Park Island, Ma Wan, Hong Kong: Happy Hour Beers and two for one pizza deals at Cafe Roma on Park Island

Living on Park Island, Ma Wan, Hong Kong: Pizza on Ma Wan, Park Island

These places both deliver to Park Island, direct to your door. In fact almost all of the restaurants deliver (Chinese, Thai, Western, Japanese, German, etc).

Regarding taxi access to Park Island see:

Living on Park Island, Ma Wan, Hong Kong: Taxi access hours to Park Island

(which I can confirm is still accurate).

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    Listen, you're new here and this debate has been had many times before. We fall into 2 camps.

1.)Those who can afford and enjoy the freedom and safety that car ownership gives you in Hong Kong.

2.)Deluded tree hugging sweaty expats who enjoy being hurtled around in metal coffins driven by maniacal triads being elbowed by locals and getting toenail clippings in their hair being deafened by loud phone conversations consisting of WAI WAI WAI!

I believe both sides have valid points and each to their own.
    I find geo expat is also divided into 2 camps
    1. the self righteous
    2. the rest of us
    bookblogger likes this.

There are also those who have a sense of humour and putzes...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    There are also those who have a sense of humour and putzes...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using GeoClicks Mobile
    that would be 'the rest of us'

Mat

re - Car, I think there are 4 categories:

- those who need one (as I said, there are parts of HK that are not that well covered in terms of public transport and those with larger families or elderlies to carry around) and have the means to buy one.

- those who could need one but do not have the means to buy one.

- those who do not need one and do not own one

- those who do not need one but buy one for the occasional ride or status (have a few friends having the usual Porsche for the weekend rides)

So simply stating a car is not needed in HK is simply wrong. There are always special cases where a car will be more convenient/faster.

That does not mean HK transport system isn't great, it is, just that certain situation require sometimes a car.

A desire for "status" does not fit my definition of "need".

bookblogger likes this.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    A desire for "status" does not fit my definition of "need".
    That's why I said, those who do NOT need one but buy one...

Guess you read too fast...

Fair enough.

so we're in the car/no car debate now? Just because I talked about it quickly in a post...seems to me like the car owners are the one being a bit defensive here.

PS: I don't have anything against car owners in HK. Just pointing out it was not really needed in HK. It's an expensive toy basically. It's nice to have one and you can shorten the commuting time (in principles) and be a bit more comfy than on the minibus or the tram indeed...not denying that. But you always have other alternatives in HK. It's not like in Dubai or in some cities in the US where it's really a must to go from A to B.

@M07 presumably you only eat nuts and berries and drink water?

How big is that boat that two of you live on? Presumably you need all that space?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast