Like Tree69Likes

Anyone living in Park Island now who can share some feedback?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

I still beg to differ though. Each minibus has 16 people on it and they go back and forth all day long. 22 deaths per year is not very high when you know there are 16 people on it all the time nearly 24/7. + some of those death are not people ON the minibus, but pedestrians or cyclists which were outside the bus.
    However a car doesn't drive 24/7 non-stop and doesn't have 16 passengers either.
    I still think the minibus aren't dangerous.

PS: Only 117 deaths on roads in HK in 2010 according to those stats in a city with more than 7M people. it seems very low to me. I checked in Singapore and they had 193 fatalities for just over 5M people.
    HK drivers aren't as bad as I thought actually.

Quote Originally Posted by njaeger:
    I still beg to differ though. Each minibus has 16 people on it and they go back and forth all day long. 22 deaths per year is not very high when you know there are 16 people on it all the time nearly 24/7. + some of those death are not people ON the minibus, but pedestrians or cyclists which were outside the bus.
    However a car doesn't drive 24/7 non-stop and doesn't have 16 passengers either.

PS: Only 117 deaths on roads in HK in 2010 according to those stats in a city with more than 7M people. it seems very low to me. I checked in Singapore and they had 193 fatalities for just over 5M people.
    I would stop digging if I were you. When you start to lose an argument with someone of the calibre of Mat, it is a sign that your time is up.
    Satay Sue, TheBrit and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by njaeger:

There is a thread going on here which is called: "the older the wiser?"

and someone said something along those lines : 'it is sometime wiser not to speak"....

A bon entendeur...
    Satay Sue likes this.

this is pure statistics though. Not sure what you don't understand. You talk about the number of vehicles and i talk about the number of people. You are just not comparing apples with apples. The number of people using public transports makes 90% of daily commute in HK and therefore cannot be compared to what you are refering to.
    A LOT MORE people use the minibus than private cars. I'm sorry but sometimes the stats you are digging don't make the whole story. We know there are about 7M people in HK. If you find me a stat that can show the percentage of people using private cars and the percentage of people using public transport (especially light public buses) then you will be able to compare if yes or no it's more dangerous to take a car than a minibus. Until then it's absolutely ludicrous.
    I can tell you that 16 people per bus, running nearly 24/7 makes up for more than the population of private cars. And therefore the ratio is a lot more different. I find it hard to believe you guys don't see this.

So minibuses are full 24/7? Stop being silly and admit that it's time to stop arguing....

Stick a fork in it Njaeger, you're done !

welllll it's a good job Ma wan doesn't allow private cars or mini buses as the OP doesn't need to choose which side they agree with

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    So minibuses are full 24/7? Stop being silly and admit that it's time to stop arguing....
    Being civilised and sensible is dull. Arguing is fun.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile
    Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    they're full most of the time yes. 24/7 is exagerating i know, but at least half the day they are. This makes up for a LOT more passengers than cars in a whole day. You guys are incredible I have to say. Ok keep comparing apples to oranges. It's such a basic concept. What don't you grasp? look at the number of passengers and kilometers done by a minibus in a day. Now look at the number of passengers and kilometers done by a private car in a day.... add everything up and now compare the casualties. You'll see the one of the car is higher. amazing stuff guys. not one of you know how to count or handle basic statistic concepts?

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    Being civilised and sensible is dull. Arguing is fun.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile
    haha finally one that understands it! guys for those who havent yet noticed, i am always looking for an argument. I took the side of Park Island even though I don't live there. I am arguing against cars even though I have one. (i will sell it soon though) and I always go for the side no one wants to take. Make you learn a lot of things actually.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast