Like Tree3Likes

Recommendation for Real Estate Agent needed

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Uhmm, but I didn't mention in the email when I will be arriving. I could be arriving next week, so looks like they don't wanna deal with people via email cuz they won't get paid for not meeting me in person (yet) to show the apartments, I assume? That's my impression at least.
    Anyway, if somebody has a clue what to do, please share. THX!

a few months in HK is like a few years. It takes less than a week most of the time between finding the flat and moving in.

Get a service appartment sorted our for a month, come here and look for your self. that's the way to go, unless your company has a direct contact with real estate agent (and even in this case it's not always effective)

Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    I think you may have the wrong perception of HK agents. unless you are in the luxury sector then you are right, they do not need your (rental) business. Certainly not enough to start a virtual conversation with someone overseas (plus many local agents do not speak good English)

You really need to take the advice that was given to you. Go online, look at apartments/locations and narrow down a few that you like. Come to HK, give yourself weeks to pound the streets seeing the apartments in person and then strike a deal.

The agent side is the easiest. Take the mtr to the agent you like. Come out of mtry station and choose one of dozens of agencies, ask them the best price on the place you are looking for and, as Rudyard kipling said in his poem 'If" - "if you do X, Y and Z, hen Bob's your uncle"
    We have already narrowed down our choices in terms of buildings/areas, and I mentioned that in my email to them. I didn't ask any questions in it yet, other than requesting them to contact me with regard to those specific apartments.

Unfortunately, we won't have weeks to go apartment hunting. We will only have about 1 week to find a good place to live for the next year, and if we like that place and area, we'll extend the lease by another year or two. I probably wouldn't try to contact the agents before my arrival if I had like 2 or 3 weeks to look for a place, but we will be staying at a hotel for a week, so time is not on our side.

Original Post Deleted
    Viewing fifty apartments??? I don't think that we even saw half as many properties when we bought our place here in Canada...
    Last edited by travelbee; 04-02-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    a few months in HK is like a few years. It takes less than a week most of the time between finding the flat and moving in.

Get a service appartment sorted our for a month, come here and look for your self. that's the way to go, unless your company has a direct contact with real estate agent (and even in this case it's not always effective)
    Alright then. Maybe we should just walk into a real estate office the day we arrive in HK and then see what happens... Thanks for the advice everyone!