Again: Moving to Lamma

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Again: Moving to Lamma

Hi again,

Since I've been wanting to live on Lamma for a looong time, I went to an agent yesterday and found the almost perfect flat to share with a buddy.
    Since he's currently living on Lamma already he won't have much trouble moving around.

I'm currently still living in Jordan/Yau Ma Tei.
    How much would moving my stuff to Lamma cost me approx.?
    Actually it isn't even much; a sofa-bed, cupboard, and lots of clothing

Anybody's got any experience with a cheap (I'm a student ) "mover" who can arrange the pick up in Jordan, carry on the ferry and transport on one of those nice ATVs on Lamma?

Thanks in advance!

there is a lamma website - just google it.

the adminstrator of that site lives in lamma and can help you with your queries

lamma.com.hk, Ive been searching through it but it seems like their forum is gone dead

The last post was 35 minutes ago and was about accomodation on Lamma- hardly a dead forum!!

Do a search for 'Man with a Van' and you will get plenty of numbers to call. The VV's on the island cost around HKD100 per run from the ferry pier to your house- depending on where you move to. There are various numbers for VV drivers on lamma.com.hk, the one I would recommend is Mr Hung who owns Brother Supermarket which you can find in the bi-lingual yellow pages which is linked to on the left of the homepage.

You have to do some work yourself to get some answers..............

Lightbulb

Thanks Lammarite, I did some work, though it was not that good I guess

Anyhow, it seems like I will be moving very very soon. Everything is arranged now, only unclear thing left:
    How much are the cargo tickets for the Lamma ferry? I tried to ask them - but no English
    A friend said its by volume, another one said its by "guessing". I'll try to call their hotline (if they have one) after work but maybe somebody already knows the answer?!

There is no 'cargo ticket' as such. You can only take cargo on the slow ferries and you have to go to the ticket booth on the right at the top of the exit slope coming from the ferry.
    There you will pay for yourself and the man at the booth will come out and see what cargo you are taking on with you. He has a laminated list of things and prices are calculated according to that. beware that it makes little or no sense as a VCR machine is more expensive than a DVD machine and not much less than a coffin! (If you get the chance to copy the list please post it!).
    I would advise that you pack everything into boxes so that you are charged by box as opposed to each item.
    I don't know how much stuff you have but if it's a sofa, a matress, 5 boxes and a television you would be looking at about 200 dollars I guess.

Thanks for your reply!
    Finally I got through to a customer service employee.
    She has also said, what you just wrote, that the price is based on "description"; a carton is $ 6. Since I will be packing everythings in cartons then, it shouldn't be more then maybe $42
    Flat is fully furnished.

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    He has a laminated list of things and prices are calculated according to that. beware that it makes little or no sense as a VCR machine is more expensive than a DVD machine and not much less than a coffin! (If you get the chance to copy the list please post it!).
    i love that list - "full suckling pig" is about the same as a coffin as i remember... LOL.

Also - be aware the VVs are not allowed onto main street/ferry pier on saturday afternoons/sundays - major pain if you plan to move at the weekend, do it early on sat.
    Last edited by taihunggao; 04-10-2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: prob should add some useful info rather than just sucking pig info

The scary thing is that they have prices for both motorcycles and cars on the list!
    I'd quite like to come down there with my car one day and just try it!

I've received some pretty funny prices.

Freight tickets for:

- Roasted pig - $10
    - Luggage - $12
    - Fridge - $60
    - Freezer - $98
    - TV - $25/$35 (depen ds on size)
    - Monitor - $14
    - Single Matress - $8
    - Single Matress (Spring) - $12
    - Vase - $10
    - Cigarette (Paper box) - $10
    - Whole Pack Softdrink / Beer - $4 (is this some kind of protectionism?? Lamma should becoma a WTO member )
    - Milk, Yakult Wholepack - $5
    - Alcohol (Box) - $5

... although there are no cartons mentioned. Maybe it is "Miscellaneous" which has two prices, $6 and $9. The description is in Chinese though.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast