Help accommodation with cats

Closed Thread

Smile Help accommodation with cats

Hiya everyone.

I have a slight dilemma. I'm due to start a TEFL course beginning of Nov, with a view to securing a teaching role shortly after in HK. The issue is, depending on where I get a job will be dependent on where I get accommodation. I have three cats, which will be emigrating with me from the UK.

Are there a lot of rental places that accept cats?? If so are there certain areas that have more than others?? I;ve no idea what teaching salaries are like, but I'm hoping I will have enough to live on and pay for housing that will be on a ground floor, so the cats can go outside.

If anyone could recommend a pet relocater aswell that would help. I've already had a quote from Wish you were here, which was a little pricey to say the least at £1500.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smerchas:
    Hiya everyone.

I have a slight dilemma. I'm due to start a TEFL course beginning of Nov, with a view to securing a teaching role shortly after in HK. The issue is, depending on where I get a job will be dependent on where I get accommodation. I have three cats, which will be emigrating with me from the UK.

Are there a lot of rental places that accept cats?? If so are there certain areas that have more than others?? I;ve no idea what teaching salaries are like, but I'm hoping I will have enough to live on and pay for housing that will be on a ground floor, so the cats can go outside.

If anyone could recommend a pet relocater aswell that would help. I've already had a quote from Wish you were here, which was a little pricey to say the least at £1500.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.!!!
    There are plenty of apartments that accept cats, but I'm guessing that you will be looking for something outside of Hong Kong island and Kowloon if you want a place where your cats can safely go outside. Discovery Bay and some of the villages might be good places to look, but you'll have a commute. There is as thread somewhere on this site about pet/dog friendly buildings - these buildings would also permit cats (provided the landlord allows them of course). Also keep in mind that getting into an apartment here is even more expensive with pets - the standard three months rent up front, plus an additional pet deposit that can be pricey.

Pet airfare and importers-exporters are not cheap. There are some other threads on this site that list additional pet exporters. One to try is export a pet, but I think their quote will be similar. You can get the permits, do the paperwork and make arrangements with the airline yourself, but you should start soon. It takes time to get the appropriate permits approved and to do all the vet checks, etc.

Another issue to consider if you don't have resident status is what will happen to your cats if you don't get approved for a work visa - its harder (and takes longer) to get kitties back into the UK from HK than the reverse. At the dog rescue this year we've had several animals abandoned by owners who came over without a proper visa and had to leave before they had time/ money to get their animals home with them.
    Good luck.

Very good post by hello_there on some of the things to consider.

We do have 2 cats here (indoors only) and were able to find an apartment without any problem. You just need to make the real estate agent aware of it so that they search for pet-friendly apartments. We didn't have to pay any special pet fee, but some apartments do require this.

An additional thing which I'd like to point out is that allowing cats to roam outside in Hong Kong is something you'll need to think quite a bit about. Certainly it's not possible "in town". There's simply too much traffic and congestion. Out of town it's possible, but you have to weight the consequences. There are many predators that feed on small animals in Hong Kong (large snakes, feral dogs, large birds etc.) and they are very prevalent out of town. I've known multiple people who've lost their cats from letting them roam outside on the islands. Also, there is a chance the cat can be taken or abused. I'm not saying this happens everywhere, but attitude towards animals here is not the same as in the UK. I know roaming cats are very common in the UK, but you really might want to consider bringing your cat indoors in HK. Most cats do adapt fairly well.

As for transportation from UK I do believe most transport companies will fall in a similar range to the price you were quoted. However, you can probably try some on your side (in UK) to see if the quotes are different. Doing it yourself is also a possiblity (check out the threads in the pet owners section on this).

Good luck with everything!

Cats in Hong Kong

Thanks guys for replying, you've both mentioned things I didn't consider, like the other predators. To be honest, my cats are getting on a little bit now, so I don't think it will be too much of an issue being inside. I just need to make sure I have a flat that is not too small.

What are the views on sharing accommodation in Hk??? unsure if I will find someone willing to share with 3 cats but you never know..!!

Thank you for the advice on the visa, I may wait until that is definitely complete before bringing the cats over...again something I hadn't thought about.

You have both been very helpful.

regards

Shelley

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by smerchas:
    What are the views on sharing accommodation in Hk??? unsure if I will find someone willing to share with 3 cats but you never know..!!
    Sharing accommodation is pretty common in HK.

You would probably have to lease an apartment yourself and then find a roommate who is comfortable with your cats. Moving into a room in someone elses flat probably wouldn't work because they would have to get their lease amended for the cats (which could be quite difficult).

You might be able to find someone who owns a place who would rent a room to you with the cats, but I don't think this is a very likely option.

Good luck