Work in central and kwun tong - where to live

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Work in central and kwun tong - where to live

Hi there, my husband and I (29 & 27) will be moving to HK in two - three months. Our workplaces are located in central and kwun tong. It would be great, if you have any recommandations where to live! So we both are able to commute to work well... We don't have to be right in the bar scene, like to go running, hiking, mountainbiking etc. A nice neighborhood with restaurants, small shops would be great though...thank you!

from the sounds of your post, i'm guessing you've never been to hk... right?

(1) budget?
    (2) budget?
    (3) budget?
    (4) size?
    (5) length of commute?
    (6) country/city living?
    oh and...
    (7) budget?

clear water bay road.. on the approach to sai kung

15 min ( drive ) to kwun tong 30 min mini bus / MTR

central around 45 mins.. if you near razor hill then has a supermarket..

not much in the way of restaurants - but great for fresh air / hiking etc.

perhaps silverstrand area? has supermarket.. and closer to hang hau which has restaurants etc..

hang hau can get MTR - but no idea how long - perhaps 50 mins. and about 20 to Kwun tong?

- on the island side - you might consider Tai Koo shing

or Northpoint - some great walks up braemer hill, more food options.. not so far from central - and good for kwun tong - there's even a ferry on the commute options to kwun tong- great view and only 5$!!!

housing budgets from super cheap up up up..

you'd be starting off in slighty "adventurous" territory - but still everyone speaks english there..

Last edited by audiot; 23-02-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: more more

Thanks so far. It is actually our first time in HK right now. Our budget is between 25 - 38.000 HK$ and we would like to have at least something about 800 sqm if possible....
    Commuting is an issue, we would like to avoid spending too much time on the MTR... City or Country we are open to both. Northpoint sounds actually pretty good, is anybody living there?

800 sqm???? i hope you mean square feet... not metres!

north point (unless you go up the hill to braemar hill) is total city living... not much hiking/mountain biking etc to be had.

also, you still haven't told us:
    (1) number of bedrooms/bathrooms
    (2) facilities or not
    (3) length of commute
    (4) $25-38,000 is a huge range... you should try to narrow that down a little.

try looking in Kai Yuen Street - a quiet Northpoint cul de sac with real character - can get good mountain views. and Large flats easily in that range.

you can walk up to Braemer Hill... a great walk is from there to happy valley... ends up eating at a pub by the race course...

not an overly Expat area - but you can go "western" either at Quarry Bay - ( 10 -15 min walk in OK weather or tram )

further along from there is Soho East - also a tram ride.. sea fron eating and a promenade - you can try tapeo's - thats my fave!

Last edited by audiot; 23-02-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Of course 800 square feet. We would like 2-3 bedrooms. I have noticed that there are not many apartments with 2 bedrooms and 800 square feet. With that size they have mostly 3 bedrooms? Facilities would be great, since we want to exercise. We were actually looking at apartments, in Ming Yuen Western Street, North Point and the Oakhill and York House in Wan Chai. All pretty new buildings...

you could look at Laguna City in Lam Tin/Kwun Tong. it has a clubhouse etc, that when we lived there 12 years ago, was reasonably priced.

the 630-700' were usually 2 bedrooms and the 800-1000' were 3 bedrooms.

Laguna City is ok - but I would see if you can find something around Tai Hong Street ( by the sai wan ho park) if you are going to go that far from Central. a good choice of restaurants on So Ho east - a promenade to jog on ..

I guess you thought N'point was good due to the fairness of commute times?

I had friends living in Kings Court in N'point - no facilities tho..

it's not a huge deal to commute from laguna city (or sceneway garden) to central. it's also a very short commute to kwun tong. lots and lots and lots of restaurants in kwun tong. easy access to tst (219 bus) and to hk island (via x harbour buses or mtr)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast