Like Tree9Likes

need info about Gold Coast and harrow school please

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    How do you deal with your waste and sewage?
    Do you want the legal answer or the truth? The correct answer to this question is that it is stored in a tank on the boat which is pumped out from time to time by the people in the marina, for a small fee (HKD80 a time, I think). Reality is cheaper.

Did the law change recently? Last I checked (over a decade ago), it was perfectly legal to have a pass-thru system without a tank....

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Did the law change recently? Last I checked (over a decade ago), it was perfectly legal to have a pass-thru system without a tank....
    Using the word "legal" to mean "allowed under the marina regulations" (never bothered to look further out than that). No, under our berthing agreement we are not supposed to pass through. But from what I can tell >80% of the long term residents do, and the fish population in the marina heartily thanks them for it!

By legal, I was referring to regulations in Hong Kong waters. By your answer, I can speculate that the laws for HK have not changed but you are bound under a private agreement/contract with the marina.

INdeed. Since we never take the boat out of the marina I have no idea about the open water regulations!

Thanks for the info everyone
    I think we will visit some boats to really realize if it is something for us or not.

What about the shopping and restaurant in gold coast ?
    Is there a lot of choices or very limited ?

Restaurants: Limited. All in all you must have about 10 restos or so: One MacDo, one Thai, one western, one so called french, one so called italian, one japanese if I recall, one chinese, two small noodle/rice place, one indian/kebab place and one "hot dog/burger" joint.

You also have the restos in the Gold Coast hotel.

Shopping, you mean supermarket right? if that is the case only one, relatively decent (enough for day to day shopping). 15mn away from there (tuen mun) you will find much more choices in terms of supermarkets and resto so you can head there from time to time.

Overall it isn't bad but once you have eaten a couple of time in each resto you long for more choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Restaurants: Limited. All in all you must have about 10 restos or so: One MacDo, one Thai, one western, one so called french, one so called italian, one japanese if I recall, one chinese, two small noodle/rice place, one indian/kebab place and one "hot dog/burger" joint.

You also have the restos in the Gold Coast hotel.

Shopping, you mean supermarket right? if that is the case only one, relatively decent (enough for day to day shopping). 15mn away from there (tuen mun) you will find much more choices in terms of supermarkets and resto so you can head there from time to time.

Overall it isn't bad but once you have eaten a couple of time in each resto you long for more choices.
    The Gold Coast area is without a doubt the best place to live in Hong Kong.

What a stupid statement....areas are all relative to your situation/preferences....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    What a stupid statement....areas are all relative to your situation/preferences....
    Pfft......trying to balance your not so glowing reference.

I hate the way people say GC has only one and a few restaurants supermarket and then bleat about the nearest alternatives being Tuen Mun Centre......

First of all, Gold Coast isn't a town, it is a suburb of a city called Tuen Mun and, unsurprisingly, most restaurants and malls are downtown.

There is a supermarket across the road in Agean Coast and a short walk away at Sam Shing as well as many fine seafood restaurants.

Between Gold Coast and Central I would (guess) there are at least 20 supermarkets, Yan Oi and Chi Lok market places with many shops and restaurants.

Either you've never lived here or, if you did, you lived in the bubble, only leaving the resort on the shuttle to Kowloon/Central and not having any awareness of the city you actually lived in.

If you don't know what you're talking about and start spouting rubbish to an OP trying to get some genuine advice then you can expect smart assed responses.

Back in the 'real world' I didn't have to live upstairs from train stations and shops and restaurants to feel they were convenient to me.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast