Like Tree9Likes

need info about Gold Coast and harrow school please

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mat

I have lived there longer than you have,...spare me the lesson.

I did forget about the small supermarket in Aegean Coast...aside from that you have not provided anything more than what I put in my post....

If you consider Tuen Mun and GC one place then I am afraid we will never agree....Tuen Mun is 10/15 mn by minibus from GC, so you need to take a bus to go there.....it's not like you just walk there in 5mn and do your shopping....

My post was NOT negative, I have lived there and enjoyed it but there are only around 10 restos and 2 supermarkets withing waking distance..the rest you need TRANSPORT -

And before you go ballistic as you always do, my wife's family lives in large part in Tuen Mun/Yuen Long (gvt housing and village house) so even if you try to claim a status of village chief, trust me I know the place....

Sometimes on here people really react funny...

Last edited by Mat; 04-03-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Only an idiot would find issues with the description you provided. It was neither positive nor negative, it was simply a statement of facts. I guess morons could start arguing(a popular distraction for those with no lives on this forum) that HK is a relatively small city therefore anywhere is convenient however, I interpret it the same way you do and think mostly of the things that are within reasonable walking distance since many people choose not to waste money on owning cars since public transport is relatively efficient and the city is polluted and congested enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    I have lived there longer than you have,...spare me the lesson.

I did forget about the small supermarket in Aegean Coast...aside from that you have not provided anything more than what I put in my post....
    Ummm, the supermarket, the butchers, the seafood market and all of the restaurants at Sam Shing....or don't they count?

The poiny Mat...well I used to live in a village that was about 10/15 minutes from High Wycombe in England. You wouldn't knock Naphill for having no restaurants, it has two.... People want to live there for the best of both worlds, a relaxed lifestyle near the water but near enough a big centre to want for nothing as well as a reasonable commute to Hong Kong.

The reason M07 and I are quick to defend it is to balance the statements from people who left the area with people who chose to stay.

The Gold Coast doesn't have an MTR, it doesn't have 100 supermarkets and 50 restaurants and 20 bars and we like it like that!! But, to make it sound like it's in the boonies....from your post you'd think the bus ride from GC to TM was through a desert.

Just to add, I didn't think much of GC until I moved to the area....now I love it..probably because I am a family man and I hate overcrowded concrete jungles...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    Pfft......trying to balance your not so glowing reference.

I hate the way people say GC has only one and a few restaurants supermarket and then bleat about the nearest alternatives being Tuen Mun Centre......

First of all, Gold Coast isn't a town, it is a suburb of a city called Tuen Mun and, unsurprisingly, most restaurants and malls are downtown.

There is a supermarket across the road in Agean Coast and a short walk away at Sam Shing as well as many fine seafood restaurants.

Between Gold Coast and Central I would (guess) there are at least 20 supermarkets, Yan Oi and Chi Lok market places with many shops and restaurants.

Either you've never lived here or, if you did, you lived in the bubble, only leaving the resort on the shuttle to Kowloon/Central and not having any awareness of the city you actually lived in.

If you don't know what you're talking about and start spouting rubbish to an OP trying to get some genuine advice then you can expect smart assed responses.

Back in the 'real world' I didn't have to live upstairs from train stations and shops and restaurants to feel they were convenient to me.
    If you'd read the forums you would know that Mat HAS lived here and his assessment is pretty balanced. The restaurants change all the time but right now there is an italian (good and cheap); an italian (less good and less cheap); french (expensive and fancy, I don't like it); macdonalds; a new japanese sushi place and another japanese upstairs (never tried either); two "local" type joints, one large and one small; another restaurant serving chinese/thai and Indian - pretty good when not crowded; one "UK style teashop" which is getting less and less authentic by the day. For fast-food you have pacific coffee, ebenezers (pizza/indian/turkish) and a Subway (as well as the macca's previously mentioned). The supermarket is fine for everything, it's rare I need to buy anything elsewhere. There is also a chemist, HSBC and Citibank ATM's and on weekends various market stalls selling junk. Also restaurants in the hotel, across the road and around the corner all easy walking distance. Sure, if you eat out every night you'll get bored - if you are normal, otherwise it's fine.

oliver, you CANNOT negotiate school fees... good international schools have years long waiting lists. forget negotiating. they have people lined up around the corner to attend their school. you'd be better off getting your kids on the waiting list.

besides gold coast, it sounds like sai kung would also fit your requirements, as would discovery bay & south side.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    If you'd read the forums you would know that Mat HAS lived here and his assessment is pretty balanced. .
    Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. My point is that the views of people who have lived here and left might be expected to be less favourable than those of us who actively chose to live here and have decided to stay.

How people will see the Gold Coast and Tuen Mun will depend on their point of view and I supect that the view of many is skewed by the fact that they spend most of their time in Central/Kowloon or in the resort. From my point of view, I live and work in Tuen Mun, my kids go to school here and so on. The restaurants at GC are only a very small part of what I consider to be a huge choice in this area.....for me, saying that the only restaurants near me are the few in the resort would be wierd.

Also, I drive and agin these opinions also reinforce my belief that people in these parts of the NTs who don't drive severely limit there experience of the area in which they live.......how did Mat manage to overlook Sam Shing or the Wellcome at Oceania Heights or the ParkNShop at Siu Lun? May have lived there for a long time but clearly hasn't really lived there if you know what I mean....
    Last edited by bryant.english; 04-03-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie
    I interpret it the same way you do and think mostly of the things that are within reasonable walking distance since many people choose not to waste money on owning cars since public transport is relatively efficient and the city is polluted and congested enough.
    So which is it? Walking or public transport? .......idiot.... commentary from the peanut gallery.....

Mat

Bryant, the Op was asking about GC NOT Tuen Mun.....

The GC is as Moving and I described it, like it or not, I have said nothing about Tuen Mun, but as I said Tuen Mun is not within walking distance,

As for people who chose to stay there what a stupid statement.

I have lived there 3 full years and my wife a bit more, I moved for work (my wife) reason.....not because I did not like it but because GC - Kowloon Tong by public transport is NOT convenient.... Geeeze you really need to relax...Since then we have moved back in the area but closer to the city (Tseun Wan area).

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Geeeze you really need to relax...Since then we have moved back in the area but closer to the city (Tseun Wan area).
    Mat - I don't know what your mental picture is but I am completely relaxed, thank you. Simply pointing out that GC can't be spoken about without condidering Tuen Mun as it is a suburb of it!

Also correcting your mistaken assertion that there is one supermarket there and that you have to travel to Central to find another one......this is clearly misinformation! Sorry if you don't like it!

Are you saying Sam Shing is not walking distance from GC Mat? I'd better tell that to all the Gweilos who are there shopping every day, oh no, I just remembered; there is a Wellcome at Hanford Garden as well........you lived there for 3 years? Resort to shuttle - HK - shuttle - resort - shuttle - HK - shuttle.....!

If you're going to argue that Sam Shing is a bit of a hike then how long would it take on the bus.......two minutes? Not arguing with you Mat! You carry on mate...
    Last edited by bryant.english; 05-03-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    basketcase likes this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast