Like Tree8Likes

Moving Big Furniture into a Village House

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving Big Furniture into a Village House

I and my husband are moving to a village house in Sai Kung. It is the third floor with a rooftop. When we met the landlord and signed the contract, he showed us how furniture could be moved into the house through the big windows on one side and through the rooftop. However, we did not pay attention to how narrow the main door is and how little room there is for moving stuff into the house.

When I checked with some movers, they said it would be impossible to lift big furniture into the house based on the physical structure of the house. And due to the lack of parking space nearby, it would be impossible to even use a mechanical crane to lift things up. So we feel that we are in a bind and that the landlord has not been honest about this aspect. He himself has not lived there so it seems he doesn't know some of the practical issues of moving in. But it also occurs to me that he is not so forthright about certain things.

Does any of you have experience with moving big pieces of furniture into a village house with lots of physical constraints? I am having a major headache right now. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

So you assume the landlord knew the size of your furniture? Come on, only you know its size. You didn't measure?

See whether the furniture can be dismantled for moving.
    See about putting your over-sized furniture in storage and buy replacements.

I knew someone who ended up having to saw a sofa in half to get it into their place, then had it stuck back together once it was in there....

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    So you assume the landlord knew the size of your furniture? Come on, only you know its size. You didn't measure?

See whether the furniture can be dismantled for moving.
    See about putting your over-sized furniture in storage and buy replacements.
    Hi, we have actually told the landlord in detail what we have, and of course, any landlord in their right mind would be able to imagine the basic furniture that comes with a household, like a sofa, dining table, etc.

We have also measured the windows and roof and they are big enough to fit in the furniture. The problem lies in the structure of the house--no balcony, a wide awning downstairs that would block workers from lifting heavy things, etc. The landlord told us it would not be a problem because he has seen other people lift things up. But our mistake lies in not having thought about the entrance door being too narrow.
    Last edited by wahansa; 20-03-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Oh no!!! That sounds quite drastic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I knew someone who ended up having to saw a sofa in half to get it into their place, then had it stuck back together once it was in there....
    Oh no! That sounds quite drastic!

Oh come on, you can't expect the landlord to do your due diligence. The options that Claire outlined are valid, as would be getting second and third opinions from other movers.

I also know someone who had to hack his sofa in half to get it moved into his flat. He went out and found someone who could do this for him, it was no big drama. It just involved a bit of legwork asking around stores.

Last edited by jgl; 20-03-2012 at 05:32 PM.

OK, thanks guys. If you're here to chastise me, then I would gladly end this conversation. I am here to seek some advice. Friendly forum here.

And you've been given advice.

Are you sure none of your furnishings can be dismantled?

Ps you do know that some movers would rather say it can't be done when in fact it can but it's too much hard work?

Last edited by jimbo; 20-03-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    dear giant and Matt_NT like this.

Thanks, Jimbo. Most furniture can be dismantled. But there are a few odd pieces that can't. You may be right about the movers. I am checking with a few others. The question may just be a matter of $$$.

dear giant likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast