Like Tree6Likes

Tsuen Wan - Budget of $8-$11k

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The area where I live in Tsuen Wan has plenty of options in that pricing range. 10k could probably get you something close to 700sf. It is in an older complex, (Tsuen Wan Centre), but reasonably well maintained, and is up on the hill with a few grocery stores and shops, tennis courts, basketball courts, and a playground out back, and is a 5 minute minibus ride to the MTR. The dining options in Tsuen Wan kind of suck, but overall it isn't a bad place. Then again, I work in Tsuen Wan, and I'm not sure how I'd feel if I was making a 50 minute commute to and from Central every day, even if you can pretty much guarantee seats both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_NT:
    Yes that was another option. Going to short list the places that have the easy commute to Central/Tuen Mun then when I get over spend a little time finding the right place as I hate moving. We have a place to stay until then which is always nice.
    Transport is much better in sham tseng compare to GC, not mention its much faster to get to central (u save a good 15 mn each way in piblic tranport) keep this in mind when choosing and if u choose the GC area, avoid GC itself, but look at properties around it.

Both are good place to live in.
    Last edited by Mat; 24-03-2012 at 06:35 PM.

15 minutes on a bus can earn you a much nicer place to live in hk. Having said that, I live just around the corner from my work so....

Agree with Mat about avoiding GC itself, look at apartments nearby or even village houses...

A friend of mine is living in Riviera Garden, with your budget you can easily find an apt there.
    There is a bus stop right in front of her door and takes 5mins (circular bus route) to the westrail station (or you can walk through the riviera park along the water which is pretty relaxing at night) I'd say check it out when you're in HK.

Just to add one thing to your budget.......if you don't want to move for a while I suggest renting under your budget because it's almost normal to face a sharp rent increase at the end of your tenancy......if I were you I'd stay out of the negotiations....let your wife's family take care of it if possible.

Matt_NT likes this.

Yeah GC resort is a little dated in my opinion but did notice nicer places around. I did like the marina there though but that may have been because it was 34degrees and we had knocked back a few beers with lunch.

Sham Tseng is getting the edge as I do like the look of the area and plenty of food options/transport. One thing that I have heard is that you can get plane noise - not sure how true this is especially since in the UK you are nearly always on a flight path with some background noise (near Manchester/Liverpool).

Tsuen Wan is sounding less appealing by the day but I suppose until we look at the properties then it will be difficult to decide. Each area will undoubtedly have the pro's and con's so will need to resort to pen and paper with 2 columns

Haha about the wife and family sorting it - the wife will get final say anyway so not bad advice and guessing me not being native may bump the price up. If all else fails then the fall back is a village house in Tuen Mun and the wife has a long journey to Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_NT:

Sham Tseng is getting the edge as I do like the look of the area and plenty of food options/transport. One thing that I have heard is that you can get plane noise - not sure how true this is especially since in the UK you are nearly always on a flight path with some background noise (near Manchester/Liverpool).

Really depends on the location of ur flat, personally, no noise or on very rare occasion.

Transport is definitely better in Sham Tseng. I have lived in both places and trust me the additional 15 min each way to central were getting to me at the GC. But I suppose for some it' s not an issue...
    Last edited by Mat; 25-03-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    15 minutes on a bus can earn you a much nicer place to live in hk. Having said that, I live just around the corner from my work so....
    says the guy who does not take public transport....hmm

why not consider yuen long if youy can not find a decent place in tw, 25 mins to sheung wan/30mins to central by bus, west line, 15 mins to tuen mun

if it has to be tsuen wan, then most of the properties near the west line are probably better as they are newer, just make sure it's not too near to industrial area

good thing about tsuen wan, there are alot of cheap and localised places to eat, it's only a short trip by bus/mini bus to tsing yee as well

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast