Like Tree6Likes

Tsuen Wan - Budget of $8-$11k

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Really depends on the location of ur flat, personally, no noise or on very rare occasion.

Transport is definitely better in Sham Tseng. I have lived in both places and trust me the additional 15 min each way to central were getting to me at the GC. But I suppose for some it' s not an issue...
    not really that much of a journey from tuen mun to central, there is a coach that goes in the morning and evenings from connaught rd central, opposite shun tak centre ( and vice versa) that goes to tuen mun jusco which is the terminus, there are various stops inbetween, but i have never been on it, I just see the coach parking along connaught rd waiting for passengers, I beleive one of my colleagues who lives in tuen mun said it's a 25min journey.

it's also only 3 minute journey from shueng wan to central via mtr

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    not really that much of a journey from tuen mun to central, there is a coach that goes in the morning and evenings from connaught rd central, opposite shun tak centre ( and vice versa) that goes to tuen mun jusco which is the terminus, there are various stops inbetween, but i have never been on it, I just see the coach parking along connaught rd waiting for passengers, I beleive one of my colleagues who lives in tuen mun said it's a 25min journey.

it's also only 3 minute journey from shueng wan to central via mtr
    1. Shun tak is not in central it's in sheung wan
    2. U heard from a colleague vs I lived 3 years in GC are and made the trip on daily basis...
    3. Sheung wan is 3 min MTR to central but you conveniently omit to count the walking time to the MTR....in short 25 min from Tuen Mun to central -> not true.
    Matt_NT likes this.

1. Shun tak is not in central it's in sheung wan
    2. U heard from a colleague vs I lived 3 years in GC are and made the trip on daily basis...
    3. Sheung wan is 3 min MTR to central but you conveniently omit to count the walking time to the MTR....in short 25 min from Tuen Mun to central -> not true.
    lets get the facts right,

the coach is near to western market ( 1 min from exit c shueng wan), connaught rd central, ( I will take a photo to show you and everyone else, i know for a fact that there is no english signs on the coach or at the stop and my non chinese friends presume it going to the mainland for 4 years until i pointed out)

connaught road central at exit b is only 15 mins WALKING time to central

my point is that the coach from shueng wan is only 25 mins journey to tuen mun jusco
    Last edited by imparanoic; 25-03-2012 at 12:14 PM.

it's pretty much this place, please see link, next to hillier street, pretty much a minute from exit c sheung wan

上環 干諾道 西港城 - Google Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_NT
    If all else fails then the fall back is a village house in Tuen Mun and the wife has a long journey to Central.
    If you do end up in Tuen Mun proper, you could consider places like Villa Tiara and Chelsea Heights (although the latter might be a budget stretcher for you - I haven't needed to check prices for a year or so).
    Express buses including 960 and 961 don't stop between Tuen Mun and ICC, then run through Sheung Wan - Central - Wanchai. I used those routes daily for a few months, and average journey time was 40 - 45 minutes going all the way to/ from Wanchai ferry pier.

Mat

Ok OP given the fact that people on here are convinced tuen Mun is so close to Central and can be reached in a heart beat my recommendation is try public transport a few times and make ur mind, I have never ever taken 25mn from tuen Mun to central (except by car and even 25 min is like on a good run and paying huge tunnel fees).

I noticed that people here tend to only post the time spent on the MTR or buses, but totally overlook the rest, walking time, waiting time......and usually post thebesttime, not average time the bus/train takes....

says the guy who does not take public transport....hmm
    I support everyone elses right to enjoy public transport though (just like you guys like to munch on snails, not my cup of tea but......live and let live, unless you're a snail of course!) and, if I was working in Central I also would use it.

Seriously though, the public transport issue is not clear cut:

Some people value the commute as winding down time.
    Some people, me for example, view time as a financial opportunity cost, one of the reasons I don't teach in Central; I could earn a bit more maybe but it doesn't make sense in the context of the extra two hours a day listening to WAI WAI and dodging all the other cretinous behaviour on HKs ridiculously overrated public transport system....(I used to catch the train from Holte to Hellerup in Copenhagen and even Koge every week, always a seat to myself with a table where I could have my coffee and read the newspaper, there is no comparison to the maddening, noisy, sweaty, ill mannered, pig farm, dash that is the MTR - But hey, this is no time for a rant)

If an extra 15 minutes a day commute each way meant you could have a great clubhouse or a garden......
    Many, many factors for all the different kinds of people Matt.......awright??

I noticed that people here tend to only post the time spent on the MTR or buses, but totally overlook the rest, walking time, waiting time......and usually post thebesttime, not average time the bus/train takes....
    This is exactly why I always say it also matters where you live. For example, DB to Central in 23 minutes does my swede in.....you could live twenty minutes away from the ferry and work 10 minutes away = 53 minutes....jus' sayin'....

Always remember years ago when I lived in High Wycombe in England, 3 of our mates bought a house together in London to be closer to work and found that in reality the commute time increased for two of them!!

You should physically test your commute if it's a big issue.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    I support everyone elses right to enjoy public transport though (just like you guys like to munch on snails, not my cup of tea but......live and let live, unless you're a snail of course!) and, if I was working in Central I also would use it.

Seriously though, the public transport issue is not clear cut:

Some people value the commute as winding down time.
    Some people, me for example, view time as a financial opportunity cost, one of the reasons I don't teach in Central; I could earn a bit more maybe but it doesn't make sense in the context of the extra two hours a day listening to WAI WAI and dodging all the other cretinous behaviour on HKs ridiculously overrated public transport system....(I used to catch the train from Holte to Hellerup in Copenhagen and even Koge every week, always a seat to myself with a table where I could have my coffee and read the newspaper, there is no comparison to the maddening, noisy, sweaty, ill mannered, pig farm, dash that is the MTR - But hey, this is no time for a rant)

If an extra 15 minutes a day commute each way meant you could have a great clubhouse or a garden......
    Many, many factors for all the different kinds of people Matt.......awright??
    yes but I do have a great clubhouse and 15min less each way..just sayin....

yes but I do have a great clubhouse and 15min less each way..just sayin....
    Pretty sure you're paying more than 11k

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast