Like Tree17Likes

Lamma Island or Discovery Bay

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Original Post:
    Howard - that sound's like a great deal you have there. Let's not raise false expectations for newcomers. Realisticlly, I would think the of place you have, if you were arriving now, you would need to pay 50-60K for, unless the interior is very low quality (in which it might be 45K).
    I'm not raising any false expectations. If you read my answers to the OP, that should be very clear. I never suggested the OP go out and get a 1600sqft place with a race course view

Realistically, the place I'm in now is worth 45K and the interior is perfectly fine. Since I live in the area, lived around here for 18 years, walking distance to Bradbury, own property in the area, give me a bit of credit; I know the market here and surrounding area and I'm well qualified to give a bit of advice to the OP.

Quote Original Post:
    I'm not raising any false expectations. If you read my answers to the OP, that should be very clear. I never suggested the OP go out and get a 1600sqft place with a race course view

Realistically, the place I'm in now is worth 45K and the interior is perfectly fine. Since I live in the area, lived around here for 18 years, walking distance to Bradbury, own property in the area, give me a bit of credit; I know the market here and surrounding area and I'm well qualified to give a bit of advice to the OP.
    Noted - but here's the thing thought - You think its worth 45K. The LL on the other hand will likely think its worth more, and thus ask for a rent higher than 45K. All of which is relevant to the OP's desire to rent a place. So your place also has a racecourse view? In that case you have a remarkably good deal!

Quote Original Post:
    I've seen several places on squarefoot.com.hk that are about 750 s/f for 20-25k. 3bdr. 1600 sf sounds lovely, but i'm assuming we'll be somewhere under 1000 sf.
    All depends on your budget. Also depends on expectations. Your money will stretch further if you go with older buildings.

How's air quality in Happy Valley? I've heard stories of pollution in HK, but not sure if that's on the island or on the mainland part. I've read that Lantau and Lamma are good air quality, but don't know about HK island.
    Pollution is not good anywhere in Hong Kong. Lamma/Lantau may be marginally better but compared to where you are coming from, its not going to compare.
    See current numbers here : Environmental Protection Department

Also, while it's good to know what's available within taxi range. If you live near the racetrack in Happy Valley, are there things to do within walking distance?
    You are minutes away from Hospital, Theater, Doctors, Gym, Running Track, Playgrounds (indoor and outdoor), 2 Public Swimming pools complexes, Bowling alley, many schools, 3 wetmarkets, 5+ supermarkets. You have access to Bus, Tram, Taxis, Minibus and can walk to MTR.
    Happy Valley is bang in the middle of the city, kind-of-sort-of like living next to central park in NewYork. You are close to pretty much everything.
    dougmal and Satay Sue like this.

Thanks Howard, very useful info there. Definitely adding HV to the list of places for us to look when we arrive. =)

Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Original Post:
    Thanks Howard, very useful info there. Definitely adding HV to the list of places for us to look when we arrive. =)
    Because of its location, Happy Valley commands a premium. If you are budget conscious, then also look at the other places I mentioned : Tai Hang, Tin Hau, North Point etc. They have some (but not all) of the advantages of Happy Valley, still put you in the thick of the action at a more reasonable cost.

Dont worry about dogs and families; once you get here you will see that every district has dogs&families and they've all found a way to make things work.

Quote Original Post:
    I seriously doubt that, rents have come down recently.
    Let's help qualify that comment a little, again so as not to raise false expectations.

A more accurate comment would be that rents have risen sharply over the last 2 years, with an approximate decline of 5% off the absolute high hit in mid 2011.

The reality is that most people renewing leases, and most newcomers to HK, are going to be renting at close to absolute highs in nominal terms, and very likely at a higher rates than anyone already in HK on a rental lease (except for people who have signed new rental agreements in the last 6 months).
    Last edited by randy1; 26-03-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Wasn't trying to raise anyone's expectations, just saying that rents have come down recently - which since our arrival a year ago they have.

Quote Original Post:
    Wasn't trying to raise anyone's expectations, just saying that rents have come down recently - which since our arrival a year ago they have.
    Noted SS - PS to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you were trying to raise expectations - rather just ensuring that you were not inadvertently doing so.

Well, we have another 5 months or so before we arrive, maybe they'll keep going down! =)

Satay Sue likes this.

Doug - if you have that much time to spare, it would well be worth coming out for an initial visit, seeing some of the locations reccomended, reflecting a bit on what you liked, and then coming back again when you are ready to rent. I think you need more than a week here. I would suggest a month in a serviced apartment, looking around at places after work etc. Its quite draining, and often frustrating, but worth putting the initial time into. What you really want to avoid is finding a place quickly, and then a few weeks later regretting it because you acted too quickly.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast