Like Tree7Likes

Can a Landlord back track?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The landlord if she decides not to rent to us has to compensate us by giving back not only our initial deposit but an equivalent sum as well according to the terms of the provisional tenancy agreement.

Thanks for your advice. Our agent also wants us to sign as soon as possible and pay up the deposit before the landlady changes her mind. We have no problems with doing so but the apartment is currently a mess as the construction work has just been completed. We are a bit worried that once we pay up the landlady may just hand it over as is and not have it cleaned and outfitted. This process is causing so much stress that we are tempted to throw in the towel and quit HK.

Put in another agreement at you'll sign on the basis that the apartment will be in a fit enough state for you to move in immediately.

You're making a big deal out of nothing

With all due respect Jimbo, I don't think I am making a big deal out of nothing. I have seen several flats in various areas. Most were horrible with dirty bathrooms and kitchens. Most of the kitchens didn't even have fridges, cookers, washing machines and one even had roaches crawling about in the cupboards. Do people move with their own appliances each time around ? After months of searching, I finally found an apartment that ticked all the boxes and offered much more.. and now this!!!

tli think what jimbo meant is its not a bid deal to write into the agreement the request to have the flat cleaned before you move in...certainly no reason to 'give up' on hk...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

jimbo likes this.

What budget and location are you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    OP says 'scheduled to move in'...so they've prob agreed on a move in date but possibly not met the landlord yet to sign things...

>bdw...never heard of a prov. tenency agreement...we'd always met the landlord once, at which time we signed the lease, including provisions for moving day....
    U alway sign a prov tenancy agreemt, standard practice in HK.

It becomes final one when the stamp duty is paid.

Quote Originally Posted by pandancake:
    Thanks for your advice. Our agent also wants us to sign as soon as possible and pay up the deposit before the landlady changes her mind. We have no problems with doing so but the apartment is currently a mess as the construction work has just been completed. We are a bit worried that once we pay up the landlady may just hand it over as is and not have it cleaned and outfitted. This process is causing so much stress that we are tempted to throw in the towel and quit HK.

Your agent wants you to sign ASAP so your committed and his commission is one (very big) step closer. It's in their interest to get you to sign as soon as they can. Don't let them pressure you into anything, if necessary take a step back and a day to think about it. Nothing is this urgent...and there are plenty of other apartments out there if anything isn't right. It shouldn't be causing you stress.

Don't commit to anything you are not sure about and make sure you are getting everything you want. Get all the promised improvements written into the contract too.
    Last edited by Alan Partridge; 04-04-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    tli think what jimbo meant is its not a bid deal to write into the agreement the request to have the flat cleaned before you move in...certainly no reason to 'give up' on hk...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Exactly!

All you need to put is that the apartment needs to be in a state fit enough to be moved in immediately, If it's not then the cost of a hotel room overnight whilst it's being cleaned will be deducted from the next months rent.

It's not exactly rocket science.

agent being pushy and wanting you to sign asap?

well I never.

once went to view an apartment at night and electricity was off. agent was desperate for us to sign there and then despite not having seen the apartment with the lights on. same pressures - other people interested, rents going up, etc

we walked away. next day went to a different agent, viewed the same apartment in daylight, signed contract a few days later. original rent.

stay calm and don't be rushed/pushed