Like Tree5Likes

Where to live in HK for less than 10K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Where to live in HK for less than 10K

Hi All,
    Im moving to HK this Sunday. My work will be in Tsuen Wan and they are providing me with a hotel room for 2 weeks while i look for a place. I am single guy (no family except a tiny dog) so hopefully I can find something on the Red Metro line that is not too far from night life and good food.

My budget is between 5000-10000 HKD. I could really use help narrowing down the search.
    Thanks,
    Ben

Preference on maximum commute time?
    Your own place or shared?
    You really need to give a bit more info.

Yuen Long is an option

Tsing Yi : Green field garden / Serene garden / May fair garden, 15 mints bus travel to Tsuen Wan , rent is < 10000HKD...

website for your reference:
    http://hk.centadata.com/eptest.aspx?...&code2=&page=0

Last edited by ghkg; 18-04-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Ramblers Crest in Tsing Yi (the one in the middle of the container port close to the Stone Cutters Bridge) is < $10k for 600 something square feet as well.

Last edited by 100LL; 18-04-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Yuen Long is indeed an option. Cheap rent, has some good places to eat, and is close to tsuen wan west by MTR... but the nightlife of things? Not so good. I live nearby though and the one positive is there are nightbuses which go regularly, through the night, from central, wanchai, causeway bay etc.

Saying that, falling asleep on the nightbus when drunk is a very real possibility!

Bensolomon likes this.

Also if you like the idea of a village house, kam sheung rd is one stop from tsuen wan west and has a lot of village houses. Not sure of the rent but some of them will be well within the budget.

Thanks for the responses.
    I think a 30-40 minute commute is acceptable.
    I am a single guy so being too far from night life is a bit troubling, but considering the cost of living on HK island I thought somewhere in the middle would be best. However whenever I ask people about Mong Kok, Prince Edward, Yao Ma Tei, or Jordan I usually get very negative responses. Are those places really bad to live in?
    Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensolomon
    However whenever I ask people about Mong Kok, Prince Edward, Yao Ma Tei, or Jordan I usually get very negative responses. Are those places really bad to live in?
    They're not bad at all when you first arrive to Hong Kong, especially as it's just you. They're stereotypical loud, dirty, and crowded KLN areas with plenty of eateries. Nothing wrong with starting in places like that and then finding a more chilled out area to live in once you get a better feel for Hong Kong. A small walk-up may fit your budget range.
    Bensolomon and bookblogger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensolomon
    Thanks for the responses.
    I think a 30-40 minute commute is acceptable.
    I am a single guy so being too far from night life is a bit troubling, but considering the cost of living on HK island I thought somewhere in the middle would be best. However whenever I ask people about Mong Kok, Prince Edward, Yao Ma Tei, or Jordan I usually get very negative responses. Are those places really bad to live in?
    Bad to live? No they're not. Very convenient for everything, even for bringing some stuff back from LKF.

Loads of places for 10k suitable for a single guy.
    Bensolomon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTC
    Bad to live? No they're not. Very convenient for everything, even for bringing some stuff back from LKF.

Loads of places for 10k suitable for a single guy.
    dare i ask what 'stuff' one would want to bring back from LKF?
    Satay Sue likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast