Like Tree14Likes

Is £3000/month sterling possible for a family of 6? Ages 11, 9, 7, 5

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    SS - thats me :-)

2 working parents and 3 kids in 3 different schools around the island.. I assure you, there is no nightmare and can be managed.
    HC I am impressed! For the family I mentioned the mother was just constantly frazzled - mind you they'd just got here, hadn't found a helper and were still coping with culture shock among other things...
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    In that case I just dont believe you/him/combination thereof.
    For those that are flexible, there are plenty of schooling possibilities.

Original Post Deleted
    This I do not doubt.
    HK school situation is not ideal nor much fun but I'm sticking with my position. Those who are flexible do just fine.

I also know several. There simply aren't "plenty of schooling possibilities" if you want your child at an international school.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I also know several. There simply aren't "plenty of schooling possibilities" if you want your child at an international school.
    Not to side with HC but he did say "flexible" so wanting to put your kids at IS only is not being flexible :-)

Anyway, I think the OP got the picture by now and can discuss with his HR/boss accordingly.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    1200 hong kong square feet equal 800-900 sq ft. For a big family, ah, dont do it. 55k hkd is better but maybe you need 80k. But 36k is not enough. If you will live in NT and have a car, 60k can get you spacious 2500 sq ft.
    most places in new territories are village houses. as such, most come in the following sizes: 700, 1400 or 2100'. these are real measurements, not the hk "net" figures.

you can get 2100' for $20k-100K+ depending on location.

if you have a car, then location doesn't matter as much.

HC, I don't recall, were your children born here or did you move here with them? You and your wife are both Western? (sorry, genuinely don't remember!)

Me and Wife are both western but long time residents.
    3 kids born here, round eyed and yellow haired and fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin and English.
    All 3 in different schools. 1 in Bremar Hill, 1 in NorthPoint and 1 in Cyberport.

OK, so I'm going to suggest that maybe the decision to put them into local schools was easier for you? I think it would be a much tougher decision for someone moving here with children of the OP's ages...? (fresh off the boat as it were)

There are 4 types of "local" schools:
    Government Cantonese medium
    Government English medium
    DSS (most of these are English)
    Private

Aside from that, there are ESF and International schools.

Most off the boat expats seem to only know/want ESF&IS while completely ignoring other choices. Even then, they are not looking at all the smaller and newer IS.
    If they opened their eyes and looked at all the choices, they would see a lot more possibilities.
    Note: I'm not suggesting Cantonese here - thats a different argument altogether.