Like Tree14Likes

Is £3000/month sterling possible for a family of 6? Ages 11, 9, 7, 5

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Is £3000/month sterling possible for a family of 6? Ages 11, 9, 7, 5

Have been offered permanent job on island and wondered whether a budget of £3000/month was too small. I'd like to be on island for 1st year whilst I find out what else is around. My 4 kids will probably go to a school in happy valley. Will I have issues getting them in for autumn 2012?

A budget for what? For total living costs ?

You will most probably have difficulty getting a place, unless you intend to send them to local schools. For international, if you do get a place they can cost up to HK$13,000/month so for 4 would add up more than your £3000!

If $36000 HK a month is your total budget then absolutely no way is it going to work.
    Rent on the island will pretty much take all of it already.

Your four kids won't be going to school in Happy Valley.

Can your kids speak Chinese?

NYT: My Family's Experiment in Extr

Given this is posted in the accommodation section, my guess is that the 3k sterling or $HK36k is referring to an accommodation budget rather than a total salary. Having said that, I don't think the OP quite appreciates the schooling situation if he is asking whether he'll get them in for next year in Happy Valley

Mat

36K with 4 kids (assuming this is only accomodation) is doable but will not provide you with anything "grand" especially on the Island - especially given that your kids are alerady around 10 years old for 2 of them.

Push it to 50K if you can or pick somewhere else than Happy Valley or the Island for living.

Re-school: depends on the school.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Given this is posted in the accommodation section, my guess is that the 3k sterling or $HK36k is referring to an accommodation budget rather than a total salary. Having said that, I don't think the OP quite appreciates the schooling situation if he is asking whether he'll get them in for next year in Happy Valley
    Ah, sorry, missed that, I look at the "new posts" rather than the category.
    bryant.english likes this.

Yes, accommodation only. Though having spent a couple of hours on Google I'm guessing this is way too low. So would £4.5 or $54 HKD be more reasonable, and if so where and in what type of accommodation.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast