Like Tree3Likes

Sai Wan Ho vs. TST

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by booth
    Yes avoid Wan Chai. North Point is boring. I would pick Happy Valley and Sai Wan Ho. You should look at Quarry Bay, Tai Koo and other stations near Sai Wan Ho. Kowloon is more central than Sai Wan Ho, to go to China, Central, etc. Kowloon is a different feel than HK island. Dont trap yourself in a small flat, when you are adjusting to HK, it will make it harder.

GP is not bad but the walk to MTR is the only drawback.
    Thank you! I'll also spend some time on Happy Valley. And definitely walk the walk to the Sai Wan Ho MTR during a weekday rush. My boss also said NP near the station is boring/not very nice. Still we'll take a look around there. Have 2 weeks of looky look time.

Quote Originally Posted by thorvitz
    I will thoroughly survey each of these areas for shopping, commute time, crowdedness, overall feel etc. I know everyone has different taste and you can't really tell until you're on the ground. Something tells me I'll like Sai Wan Ho & Quarry Bay/Taikoo the best. Problem with QB & Taikoo from what the brokers tell me is that there are no new apartment buildings (built in past 10-12 yrs).
    Quarry Bay, look at Casa 880, very nice, new, but it's on the main road so apartments on that side might be noisy and uncomfortable with the windows open, pollution. Orchards in Tai Koo near the Kornhill development is newish.

Not sure about the gym at GP, I've never even there at 7.30. The pool usually has a few swimmers at that time of the morning. There's a web site at of you wiki grand promenade and select external links, or PE your email address and I'll send you some photos taken in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by LoughtonLion
    Quarry Bay, look at Casa 880, very nice, new, but it's on the main road so apartments on that side might be noisy and uncomfortable with the windows open, pollution. Orchards in Tai Koo near the Kornhill development is newish.

Not sure about the gym at GP, I've never even there at 7.30. The pool usually has a few swimmers at that time of the morning. There's a web site at of you wiki grand promenade and select external links, or PE your email address and I'll send you some photos taken in the sun.
    Fantastic, sending the broker Orchards & Casa 880. I don't know why she didn't suggest, as I've asked her 3x for any other developments in these two areas.

Quote Originally Posted by thorvitz
    Fantastic, sending the broker Orchards & Casa 880. I don't know why she didn't suggest, as I've asked her 3x for any other developments in these two areas.
    For Casa 880 I wonder if because just 3 bedroom units (at least that's what a search online turned up for rental). For Orchards seems they start at about 30k, a little over my budget. I'm going to check them out anyways.

If the agent is changing prices or scamming then leave him asap. They will waste your time then last minute you have no choice.

Negotiate the agency fee and make sure u get 2 weeks free rent.

If the agent is changing prices or scamming then leave him asap. They will waste your time then last minute you have no choice.

Negotiate the agency fee and make sure u get 2 weeks free rent.
    This is good advice. I knew rent was negotiable but didn't realize the agent fee was or could (like in US) ask for a free rental period.

Speaking of which, how did you pay first few mos. rent? A wad of cash or money transfer? Incidentally I hate the idea of bringing 9,000 US$ cash to HK but seems easiest way to pay for the 2 mos rent + deposit + agent fee.

I withdraw from the ATM everyday until I had enough. ATM limits were like 7000hkd per day so I had to do it everyday. I have HSBC. The US HSBC has no international withdraw fees or currency BS. Because the intraday rate was good, I actually got 7.78hkd per 1 usd. Check your banking for fees on international, atm fees, currency conversion. If you bring 9k usd cash, you lose a little bit when you change it. Remember, anything related to HK will take your money however possible.

You need 3.5 months to start. 2 months deposit. 1st mont rent. .3-.5 month commission, plus stamp duty (varies, maybe 1k).

Actually I got between 7.78 and 7.82. It ranges from 7.75 to 7.82 usually.

You can negotiate rates with money changers on the street. Be careful of fake money!!!

I asked for 2 weeks free rent, i.e. decoration period.

Sign a 2 year lease, with break after 11 months. Break by tenant only! Or you might have to pay higher rent in 1 year.

Actually I got between 7.78 and 7.82. It ranges from 7.75 to 7.82 usually.
    Ok, so 9,000 USD is about right to bring. This is really good to know. I considered ATM but limit is 300 USD/day with Wells Fargo, which is so damn domestic it's sick (though I used to work for the company). I looked into an HSBC account (through their US branches) but unless Premier member, there are fees for everything, including transferring money.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast