Like Tree3Likes

Sai Wan Ho vs. TST

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sai Wan Ho vs. TST

My wife & I are moving to HK in early May from the US and need some advice on neighborhoods. I've been to HK several times but don't know as much about the residential neighborhoods.

My job is in Causeway Bay (Windsor House), and am looking for something within 30min door to door. Can anyone comment on my reads of Sai Wan Ho and TST?

Sai Wan Ho
    - considering Grand Prominade--within my 20k budget for a 1 bedroom; commute might push the limit. Also guessing trains will be jam-packed at 8:30 when I go to work
    - I like that it's fairly local but also has a couple of "expat-oriented" restaurants in Soho East. Can also walk to City Plaza in Taikoo Shing, though maybe a 20min walk?
    - Ocean view is nice (though this doesn't mean so much to me)

TST
    - Considering Victoria Towers
    - More shopping options (a plus); a lot of tourists around (don't mind this, though may get aggravating over time)
    - Seems can walk to lots of Kowloon stuff, including night markets & parks
    - Worried about commute to Causeway Bay as it involves a switch of trains. Would this exceed 30min in peak times?

Thanks for any and all advice on these areas/complexes!

I've lived at Grand Promenade for almost 6 years and find it quite okay there. 30 minutes door to door to CWB shouldn't be any problem. I don't know VT in TST but I would think Sai Wan Ho should be quicker.

It's obviously two very different areas so it depends what you want to surround yourself with. I find Sai Wan Ho close enough to the city, yet just that little bit off so that you get a sense of 'getting out of the city core'. It's next to SOHO EAST which is quite different from Soho in Central, but some nice restaurants there along the sea which is actually quite nice. For 20K, you should be able to get a 2 bedroom apartment at Grand Promenade.

I often walk to City Plaza, which is a 15-20 minute walk along the sea.

Also, if you do like to head to the beach and so forth, living in Sai Wan Ho makes it more feasible to go to the eastern/south side of Hong Kong Island, to places like Shek O, Stanley etc. There's even a bus under Grand Promenade that takes you to those places.

I certainly wouldn't want to live in TST. Nice enough going over there now and then. But living there, no way. I'd probably get sick of the guys keep asking me if I want to make a suit or buy watches. Not for me..

Last edited by MASTER-OF-HK; 19-04-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    thorvitz likes this.

Sai Wan Ho:

Trains will be doable at 8:30. Not too busy at Sai Wan Ho, but they'll be jam packed a couple more stations down at Quarry Bay and North Point, as they are interchanges for other lines.

The walk to Citiplaza should be around 15 minutes, but in the sweltering summers you might not want to walk it, in which case a tram or minibus would work.

IMO ocean views in HK are vastly overrated- much of the time it's more of a "pollution view" anyway.

Thanks, Master-of-HK!! This is exactly the kind of local perspective I needed. 15-20min to City Plaza is refreshing to hear...an easy option for a weekend day when we want to do a bit of shopping (and get some exercise).

Do you find Grand Promenade fairly quiet? (I'd read in other forum posts of issues with noise from pets.)
    How about other basic necessities near GP--supermarket (Wellcome, ParknShop), drug store?

I've had my fair share of evenings/mornings on the balcony enjoying the views. Better than looking into a building in TST in my point view.

Thanks jgl!

Yes, the "ocean" view means very little to me. I'm more interested in living in a clean, new building (a high floor would be beneficial in mitigating noise & mosquitoes, however). SWH seems more reasonably priced than Happy Valley, so willing to live with some additional commuting time.

Ok, Master-of-HK, maybe I'll reconsider my comment about not caring about views...pretty damn nice. What floor?

To my earlier comment, do you have any issues with mosquitoes---either outside the apartment during walks or inside the apartment (assuming keep it clean/windows & doors closed)?

Last edited by thorvitz; 19-04-2012 at 04:04 PM.

With Grand Prom. you have to walk 10 min to the mtr. It is always so pushy near the mtr too as there is a wet market and many bus stops.

Grand Prom is nice but small. For 20k budget, I dont know about it. My friends live there in a 40k apt but even I think its small and the balcony and window looking at the sea is limited.

It is a nice place, nice staff, fast lifts, nice pool. But the walk turns me off.

Any newer flats with kids have pianos, violins, etc playing all night long. This is an issue and luck of the draw at Gran Prom. Many

I'm on 66th floor facing east. Best direction to face in my view because you get the sunrise.

In general, there's practically no mosquitos in this area. As far as I can remember, I've NEVER had a mosquito in my apartment. Practically no insects. Never had cockroaches or anything like that. Maybe living high up helps. Obviously keep it clean, but windows usually open and the balcony door open a few cm (got 2 cats so I can't keep it wide open unless I'm on the balcony...)

All apartments got balconies as well, which is pretty cool when you live on 66th. Big enough for two big chairs and a table, or 3-4 small chairs.

There's a PnS International 1 minute walk from the entrance of GP. You can get all the basics there for sure. They don't have much meat there for some reason, so I usually get my weekly meat/fish purchases done at Cityplaza, or Fusion which is another supermarket close to Cityplaza or else where depending on where I am at the time. There's coffee shops, restaurants, convenience stores and 3 minute walk up to the main road of Sai Wan Ho (which is a more local area), you'll find more stuff.

For a restaurant listing of Soho east: Soho East

Quote Originally Posted by booth
    With Grand Prom. you have to walk 10 min to the mtr. It is always so pushy near the mtr too as there is a wet market and many bus stops.

Grand Prom is nice but small. For 20k budget, I dont know about it. My friends live there in a 40k apt but even I think its small and the balcony and window looking at the sea is limited.

It is a nice place, nice staff, fast lifts, nice pool. But the walk turns me off.

Any newer flats with kids have pianos, violins, etc playing all night long. This is an issue and luck of the draw at Gran Prom. Many
    I must be quite lucky, because my floor is very quiet.. It's a hit and miss I guess.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast