Like Tree3Likes

Accomodation Advice

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Oh sorry, I meant to say water leaking. I find that water tends to have a greater chance to find its way in on the top floor. I had some water issues myself. I cant even figure out how its coming in and I had a couple guys over to work on it too. I consider myself handy too.

It seems to me that with the direction of my flat and top floor that its harder to keep it cold. I ended up buying a new air con and it works great but the air con before was shooting cold air but couldnt keep up.

Asked my neighbors about this, and they said dont live on the top floor.

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    . I had some water issues myself. .
    You wet yourself? I'm not surprised.

Water leakage can be a problem - but not only in top floor apartments (it's a sight worse when it's through a common pipe inside a wall - at least as far as finding the source and fixing it is concerned).

The best fixes for excessive heat in summer I've seen so far are painting (or tiling) the roof white or another pale colour, or rigging shade netting from the walls around the roof space. If you don't want to spend extra money, just use bush rock or old bricks to anchor it. If you use the roof for things like hanging the washing, then you can just roll back the netting in that area.

There are some great places around Yuen Long as others have indicated. Make the most of it - cheap AND close to work! The west rail + something else will get you to most nightlife - the MTR from Yuen Long is pretty fast. If you want something with a few more expats, Gold Coast is a possibility but to be honest the trip to Yuen Long (there are two buses) is not particularly great. If it was me I'd be looking at Yuen Long itself - I have a friend who lives on the top floor of a village house about 8 mins walk from the station, LOVELY appt, roof access too, all for about 8k a month! Sweet!

Hello Again All,

Thanks very much for the replies, I really appreciate the advice - I think the initial mistake Ive made has been to assume that just because something looks near by on a map, doesnt translate to an easy commute, so Im really glad to hear all the opinions and stuff Ive been sent!! After having had a re-think, we are going to aim for the town itself and to that end have started looking at lettings agents with properties in that area

Thanks Again Folks!!

Jordz21, the best thing to do when you do finally get to Honkers is stay in a serviced apartment for a month, go around areas that you have choosen and find agents there to let you look at the stock of apartments that they have, get a feel for the area, do not sign any agreements without physically visiting the apartment and by just looking at pictures on the internet.

the apartments in HK are particularly small, even if the advert says its 1200 sq/ft, automatically knock of 30% and what you have left is the actual space that you can use. the only places that you can get close to 95% actual usage space is for village houses that are only 2 floors high.

Satay Sue and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jordz21:
    Hello Again All,

Thanks very much for the replies, I really appreciate the advice - I think the initial mistake Ive made has been to assume that just because something looks near by on a map, doesnt translate to an easy commute, so Im really glad to hear all the opinions and stuff Ive been sent!! After having had a re-think, we are going to aim for the town itself and to that end have started looking at lettings agents with properties in that area

Thanks Again Folks!!
    What is the town itself?

There are towns all over HK.

Serious Advice: come here for a month on a service apartment and during that month look for a place to live. You simply CANNOT rent a place without seeing it or in a district without really knowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    What is the town itself?

There are towns all over HK.

Serious Advice: come here for a month on a service apartment and during that month look for a place to live. You simply CANNOT rent a place without seeing it or in a district without really knowing it.
    Yuen Long. It took a while to extract this info which is why you might not have noticed it!