Like Tree9Likes

Tenat to contribute to Lawyers Fee ?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just want to say it is not usual HK practice to share Government Rates on a 50:50 basis.

drumbrake likes this.

hmmm... i've never encountered sharing rates... but, i've only signed 8-10 leases over the years...

All the large landlords, have their own lawyers and the agreement is made by them. The agreements are totally in the favour of the Landlord. You have no option, if you like the place and the price, then you sign, otherwise just walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I agree with hello there. He's got several properties and one lawyer for whom he is s regular customer...

A) The lawyer's only real priority is to satisfy him, not you.
    B) Why on earth can't the landlord use a template from previous agreements, since he has so many properties... is he stupid or something? Or are you making very unusual requests like you want a team of gorrilas to cook you eggs every morning as part of the rental agreement?

Original Post Deleted
    My sentiments exactly. I've never heard of such a thing before.

Agree with the other posters who've said suck it up if the overall deal makes it worth it.

However, I'd read the agreement really, really carefully. And I'd be inclined not to trust a landlord that was so blatantly adversarial as to demand that the tenant shells out for such a one-sided benefit in the first place.

(Actually, unless there is something hugely attractive about the flat, I'd be much more inclined to tell the landlord to shove it specifically because of this fee.)

Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    All the large landlords, have their own lawyers and the agreement is made by them. The agreements are totally in the favour of the Landlord. You have no option, if you like the place and the price, then you sign, otherwise just walk away.
    You can negotiate even with certain large landlords - even when the leases are drafted by their lawyers. My current landlord is one of the large commercial property companies in HK. They were quite willing to negotiate on certain points in their standard lease (but have very strict policies on certain lease points and won't move on them).

Point is, its worth talking to the landlord. If they won't budge you need to decide if the terms they are offering to you are acceptable at the rent level they are asking.

As noted in other threads, accepting liability as a tenant for structural issues (pipes, walls, drainage systems, electric, etc.) can be very, very costly and at a minimum would avoid these at all costs.

LEGAL FEES

We are talking about legal fees, not rates

Quote Originally Posted by Swell:
    Just want to say it is not usual HK practice to share Government Rates on a 50:50 basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    We are talking about legal fees, not rates
    OP mentioned that he had agreed to pay half the rates.

rates

Sorry. Did not see that.
    Rates & Management fees can be paid by either Tenant or Landlord, depending on the agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    OP mentioned that he had agreed to pay half the rates.

IMHO, as other have said unless it's a great place I'd walkway

maybe its brand new first time landlord ..........

sharing rates, 50:50 is very odd, and likely to be a pain because there are issued quarterly, and no mention of management fees, and other fees the landlord should pay.

I'd stick the to standard tenancy contract, as other have rightly said the tenant should NOT contribute to any of the landlords legal fees and charges - what happens if his lawyer works for a top flight international firm like (Deacons, etc.) the legal fee could be very significant sum !!!