Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Working in Shenzhen - where to live?

you will go through passports like they were water.... i think i would be more inclined to leave the dogs at home... live in SZ and then come to hk for weekends etc. at least until you get the lay of the land. if your wife doesn't like it, then you can move to hk and commute.

If your going to be working in Shenzhen, how is it that you can live in HK, let me ask the visa question, what visa will you have to let you live in HK and work in SZ.

If you really can live in HK and need to cross in sz everyday to go to Boa'an, it is in your best interest to choose locations on the west side of HK, places like Gold Coast / Tuen Mun, Yuen Long and Tin Shui Wai. These locations will make life easier for you so that you can use the Shenzhen bay crossing into China, lot less ppl use that so its faster.

ShenZhen Metro

If you cannot live in HK due to visa restrictions then the best place for foreigners to live is in Shekou, in the area around seaworld, lot of foreigners there, good food, good bars and live bands, according to the SZ Metro site, it will take you close to 50 mins from seaworld to bao'an but only cost 7rmb, now thats cheap. By taxi around 32 mins (no idea of costs).

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    If your going to be working in Shenzhen, how is it that you can live in HK, let me ask the visa question, what visa will you have to let you live in HK and work in SZ.

If you really can live in HK and need to cross in sz everyday to go to Boa'an, it is in your best interest to choose locations on the west side of HK, places like Gold Coast / Tuen Mun, Yuen Long and Tin Shui Wai. These locations will make life easier for you so that you can use the Shenzhen bay crossing into China, lot less ppl use that so its faster.

ShenZhen Metro

If you cannot live in HK due to visa restrictions then the best place for foreigners to live is in Shekou, in the area around seaworld, lot of foreigners there, good food, good bars and live bands, according to the SZ Metro site, it will take you close to 50 mins from seaworld to bao'an but only cost 7rmb, now thats cheap. By taxi around 32 mins (no idea of costs).
    i know the price from futian to bao an airport by taxi, it was around rmb180

The price from SZBay is around 80-90RMB...
    The point is that unless there is some huge overwhelming reason to stay in HKG, its going to be a major PITA to travel to Baoan for a daily commute. It will be long (over an hour easily) and very expensive as you can live in SZ much cheaper than HKG.
    On top of all that, you will need a HKG visa which is not granted for jobs in SZ.

Oh and ofcourse you're going to need a new passport every few months as the daily chops will fill up your pport quickly...yet another PITA

Last edited by HowardCoombs; 25-04-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Not to mention the fact that public holidays in China are different so you'll end up crossing at mass migration times. Even Shenzhen Bay crossing can take well over an hour getting through immigration at those times.

chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tkainusa
    I will be working near the Shenzhen Bao'an airport. Thanks for comments!
    Good god man - that's an hour commute from the closest place in HK! I'd say, for minimal commute, you need to be somewhere close to Tuen Mun so you can take the Shenzhen Bay Port crossing and then a cab. Public transport probably 1.5 hours minimum. But at least the Bay Port crossing is a fast immigration point - go over to Sheung Shui and you'll stand in line for an hour too on some days.

If you are eligible, get an APEC card or a home return permit.

Do you have a visa for HK? You can't live here without one legally and without an ID card that's another 30 minutes of queuing on the way home......

EDIT - I see I'm already late with most of that advice!
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 25-04-2012 at 09:03 AM.

personally, i would find it very stressful not knowing how long to allow to cross the border in my commute calculations (on a daily basis)... do i leave 1 hour before i start work or 2...then if i leave 2 hours before work, and there's no queue, i'll be stuck with an hour to waste at work...

guess i could always log onto geoexpat.com...

Fiona in HKG likes this.

I guess u can do the trip from JFK to sz easy after all comments

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I think the OP doesn't realise that the Chinese Mainland and Hong Kong have different immigration rules/laws, and that a visa for one is not a visa for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    I think the OP doesn't realise that the Chinese Mainland and Hong Kong have different immigration rules/laws, and that a visa for one is not a visa for both.
    Perhaps also doesn't realise that although both cities just look like dots on a world map, HK alone is considerably larger than 1000km sq, and that Shenzhen is a huge, sprawling city of closer to 20 than 10 million inhabitants ... and that his job is literally miles from the closest border crossing ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast