Like Tree15Likes

Where to Live-Couple in late 20's

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Why anyone want to be 'in the thick of it' in HK is beyond me. Its not as if you'd be going out to bars/clubs every single night of the week, and you'd be in the 'thick of all the drunken expats'. As long as its within 30mins in a taxi after closing time, then it fits the OP's bill.
    How would you know? Some of my younger colleague - mid 20 ies - are out every night or at least 5 times out of 7..and they love waking up late on weekend, walking on Bonham for example, set foot in a cafe and have a lazy Sunday, then walk 2 mn to their friends living next door and watch a movie at their place....

Why do people feel the need to berate those who want to live near Central (add to that want to buy a car). I haven't seen anyone have a go at someone wanting to live away from it all. Even someone who wanted a restaurant recommendation on the island got attacked. To each their own.

Tinge of jealousy???? Hahahaha

You're an idiot to pay $25k a month for a shoebox in the mid levels plain and simple.
    Define close to work the Brit? 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

Where I work the closer you live to the office the more screwed you are because you're the one that has to go in on a T8 or black rain etc and cover the while team.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Why do people feel the need to berate those who want to live near Central (add to that want to buy a car). I haven't seen anyone have a go at someone wanting to live away from it all. Even someone who wanted a restaurant recommendation on the island got attacked. To each their own.
    mostly the reason I do it is because of some experiences I have had. My staff member who got sick lived in midlevels. She couldn't afford it and her place was probably what made her sick. So who did she do it? Because her friend who'd lived here before told her it was the only decent place for expats to live and she believed her. I've also hiked with folks who moved straight to midlevels because their company agent sent them there and on visiting me in gold coast exclaim things like "omg I had no idea there were nice places like this in hk if only id been told/I hate living so close to central and its costing us a fortune to boot."

somebody has to offset all the misinformation. I too was told to look at hk island when I came. I came onto geo and got the real story. THANK you whoever it was. At least it gave me options. That's all I try to do. People are adults they can decide once given the info.

The car story is similar. And linked to midlevels because that's one of the least public transport friendly places in hk! unless u are close to the escalator of course.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using GeoClicks Mobile

HK offers one of the widest range of possible accommodation in the world (for such a tiny place).

You want to live in the heart of the city - you can
    You want to live in the mountain - you can
    You want to live by the sea - you can
    Next to a Park - you can
    On top of an MTR Station - you can
    High Rise - you can
    Houses - you can
    Cheap - you can
    Expensive - you can

and what is great is that all this is within an hour or so of anywhere you want to go.

NOW, when people come on here asking specific question about living in Sheung Wan or Mid Levels, I advise them as best as I can on Mid Levels and Sheung Wan - Perhaps I add a line or two about other options such as WanChai or CWB
    But when their requirement is : I wanna be in the middle of the city, we are young, want to socialize and go out...I do not mention the NT (where I live) because let's face it, it's not the same feeling (heat of the city, socializing..). I chose the NT because I like it, I'm older, I've been here longer time, I have experienced the crowds, partying..it's cheaper, it's bigger...but that's not what the OP is asking.

I am all for telling people that they should sometimes, consider NT or Kowloon - especially when they come with queries such as we have 15K to live and want 3 bedrooms...yeah well tough luck this ain't gonna work on HK island (debatable in some areas I know) but in this case I think here clearly the OP isn't much interested in NT (her bf/husband hates Tung Chung...says it all I think) so what's the point?

carang and fuzzysocks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Tinge of jealousy???? Hahahaha

You're an idiot to pay $25k a month for a shoebox in the mid levels plain and simple.
    Define close to work the Brit? 10 minutes? 30 minutes?
    Sorry Jimbo but what are you for spending thousands in meals or on shoes, shirts then?

everyone has preferences....
    Satay Sue likes this.

Why have I never heard about park island's vibrant night life? Randy, please give us details of your wild nights out!

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Why have I never heard about park island's vibrant night life? Randy, please give us details of your wild nights out!
    You should go it's 10 minutes by bus (According to some people very own timing calculation on those boards) from your place.
    justjoe86 and randy1 like this.

Try Tsing Yi..its a very Nice place to stay ..its close to central as well as airport .If u r looking at facilities try Tierre Verde & Villa esplanada in tsing Yi area.its very close to MTR ..

Met a lady i know on the bus home from this airport this evening. She was in Central (yep, really in Central) and hated it. I suggested she look at Gold Coast and has been there a couple of months now, was telling me how much she's enjoying it. She's young, single, likes a night out every so often (not every night) but prefers to live somewhere quieter. We are all different. I'll continue to give advice that seems to fit where I can because seeing someone happier because of it is worth the jibes.