North Point--The Java

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ebayhtl:
    By the way, I grew up in the North Point/Quarry Bay area and your feel for it being a local haunt is accurate - I've hardly seen much Western food there....
    Really? For example.....

Name:  tongchongstreet.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  541.2 KB

OK street view is out of date, of the restaurants in this street view Einstein (western) has been replaced by NewsRoom (western, same group as Classified), Thai Orchids (Thai) has been replaced by a Tapas restaurant (Spanish) and I think Grappas (Italian) is still there. Not to mention the other Western restaurants in and around Tong Chong Street.

Sorry - my feeling of western food in North Point still stands (a few, but overwhelmingly Asian/local joints) but you reminded me that I've had a lot of western food in Tong Chong St and going over to Taikoo side, like Frites etc - besides that area though, Quarry Bay is still stuffed with Asian food rather than western food, and the food is towards the Quarry Bay/Taikoo border rather than the Quarry Bay/North Point border.

I always think of the Tong Chong St area with nice western restaurants as being a bit out of place in Quarry Bay, so think of it as Taikoo... if you look at the surrounding streets, most places are little Asian eateries.

Last edited by ebayhtl; 07-05-2012 at 03:11 PM.

I agree, apart from the places where the western restaurants are there definitely aren't any places with western restaurants.

Is it really that tough living 12 minutes from some western chain restaurants/cafes instead of 5 minutes. You're not in the West. There's a popular place further west on the island if you to pretend you're not in China!

I go through North Point a fair bit, seems very similar to Hung Hom/Whampoa area, just busier and with better transport links for the island.

I visited island lodge. The new building. It's on Java. Super nice apartment, 32k for 1000 sq ft.
    But the empty land in front will be auctioned for resisential building this week and confirmed in July. So chances are massive construction will take place in Oct- Nov, and easily last for 12-18 months.

So I gave up the apartment. It's right next to the building. Impossible to live with all the noise and air pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by thorvitz:
    Anyone have info on The Java, a new building in North Point? We viewed today and seems nice, good view of the harbor.

Also anyone live in North Point wo can speak to the area? We'll visit in more depth this weekend but first glance it's bustling with local restaurants (I am American but my wife is Taiwanese and loved the food options). Wish there was a Starbucks and 1 or 2 Western restaurants but cannot have it all.

Thanks!