Like Tree2Likes

Apartment advice, near Kowloon Tong 10-15k

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apartment advice, near Kowloon Tong 10-15k

Hi, I'm moving to HK in a couple of months and wanted some idea of areas to live. I'll be working in Kowloon Tong, and don't really want to commute too far. Here's my wish list:
    30 mins or less to Kowloon Tong
    10-15k (the lower end would be better)
    Newer building
    Open view (would sea be possible anywhere?)
    2 bedrooms with some space to move around

Does anyone recommend any areas to look? So far I've seen there might be some possible places in Tai Wai (Festival City) and Olympic. Are there any other areas people would recommend?
    Someone did suggest Park Island, does anyone have any idea of the commute time from there to KT?
    Thanks.

Park Island would be a pig of a commute.
    Sea views + close to KT is tough, given KT is inland!
    Tai Wai is probably in your price bracket so a good idea to look there.
    Wanting "space" (which is how I read your description) is tough in HK - apartments are tiny, bedrooms are tiny, generally "space" is hard to come by!
    KT itself is an expensive area - close by good schools etc means many expats with kids - so further out is better for cheap aspirations (your 10-15k is pretty low by HK standards).

For a slightly longer but still pretty easy commute and low costs, try Ma On Shan and other places along that same line (branch line to Tai Wai). Ma On Shan in particular has some great places with good facilities, excellent views and not too expensive.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 14-05-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    ClueMinus likes this.

Thanks for that MovingIn07. I've been in a couple of friends apartments and know about the space issue, I would just like something that's not really, really tiny. I guess I'd just like suggestions of where to start looking that would be within my low budget, thanks for the Ma On Shan tip.

Tai Wai is your best bet given your requirements.

Park Island - bad idea given you want less than 30mn commute.

ClueMinus likes this.

Depending on your definition of "newer building" the sea view bit could be possible if you were prepared to live in a "local" area - Kowloon City around to Kwun Tong/ Lam Tin are possibilities. There are some well-managed buildings 20+ years old that are in better condition than poorly managed ones <10 years old, though I can understand why you might want to pass on a 50 year old walk-up place.

chingleutsch,

can you name some of these well-managed buildings??
    Thanks.

Along the green MTR line, I confess I can't name any specific places, but I don't see why there should be any different from Tuen Mun or North Point.
    For instance I was in a 30 year old estate (built ca 1980) which was clean, had broken bits (such as tiles or hinges) in public areas replaced promptly, had the water tanks cleaned quarterly and friendly and efficient security staff, while friends down the road lived in a place half that age with cracked concrete, a putrid water supply and rubbishy & smelly stairwells. My place was a few K cheaper than theirs, too

If you don't mind a 'local' area then prince Edward is great. Quite a lot of newish buildings and lots of space (by Hong Kong standards). Also only a ten minute commute to Kowloon Tong which is great in the morning.

Biggest downside is the sheer number of people out and about at the weekend but there is plenty of shopping and entertainment options on your doorstep, you also have central in under twenty minutes on the MTR.

There is a hotel apartment called Horizon in Ma On Shan. I am also looking for places now and my list is same like yours.
    Back to Horizon. It's facing the sea, nice jogging trail etc. it's a bit out of your budget though ( HKD16k-19k). Up to 6 months lease, some discount there. It's only take 4min. to Kowloon Tong

I really mean is 40 min.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast