Like Tree141Likes

living on The Peak

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    HELLLOOOOOO...... anyone living on the peak is LOADED and evidently happy to pay a ridiculous premium. The above mean nothing.
    Not to mention the fact that many people living there are on expat packages that include mundanities such as "housing"...
    pandancake and justjoe86 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    i was recently at the GSIS on the peak when i should have gone to their Pok Fu Lam campus (which is just 2-mins down from QMH). it took us 30 minutes from GSIS (which is not yet top of the peak).
    so i wonder what roads you take to make this in 15 mins.
    I can only think of 3 ways of getting from the peak to PFL or QMH under 15 mins:
    1) Helicopter
    2) Cycling or Illegally Driving down Pokfulam Reservoir Road
    3) Driving too fast and dangerous past 2 am on the regular roads

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I can only think of 3 ways of getting from the peak to PFL or QMH under 15 mins:
    1) Helicopter
    2) Cycling or Illegally Driving down Pokfulam Reservoir Road
    3) Driving too fast and dangerous past 2 am on the regular roads
    4) Skydiving.

I'm with you HC - I find the Peak to be claustrophobic in the sense that there are so few ways in and out. I had a friend in the Matilda a few months back and visited her twice - I found the minibuses to be very full and the Peak Tram (took it twice) was a NIGHTMARE. I couldn't exit fast enough. But there were nice views on a clear day (rare, in hk!).

Ah, yes, paragliding is a possibility too along with hang-gliding.
    Peak tram is nice but lately, every time I pass near it, the huge lines put me off. I dont think I've been on it for 5+ years...Now, having that special pass would make things a lot better.

As for the views, as a hiker, I'm sure you know that they are over rated. The peak has transport options which is why the tourists flock to there...
    When we get visitors, depending on their fitness level, I take them on hikes to one of :
    - Siu Ma Shan
    - Jardines Lookout
    - Sir Cecil's Ride
    which I think provide a much nicer viewing experience in peace, quiet and darkness to take much better photos.
    Here are some examples : Jardine's Lookout (433m) & Siu Ma Shan

justjoe86 likes this.

Just one observation on the traffic.

I had to go to Matilda during a T3 (which we seem to get a couple of times a year). The direct road to Matilda was blocked by a down tree, so we had to take the other way around. We got about half way when traffic stopped. After about 5 minutes I went outside and walked to the front of the line. Yet another downed tree, but this was one you could actually get around if you did so gingerly. Unfortunately the driver closest to the tree was blocking the road as he was a) an ass@#$ b) afraid to go around the tree because it might scratch his Mercedes and c) refusing to back up until the fire brigade came and cut the tree (if he would back up, others could get past, hence point a) above).

Finally a cop came and yelled at him but he wouldn't do anything, just sort of stared out into space. Eventually another person came and offered to drive his car around the tree for him, which surprisingly he allowed. Once that was cleared the cop alternated cars around the tree until things were better.

This was a full 30 minutes to go about 300 yards in a T3 situation. Was quite a frustrating event.

Random observation--the fire trucks up there in had big metal brush guard / riot guard shields over their windscreens, which they told me is something they install several times a year when a storm signal or high wind advisory is raised.

I seriously considered the Peak and one point - I actually like it and I do feel the air quaility is better there, and cooler. There is much less car pollution than other parts of HK- no doubt about that - and its a lot more quiet, which is important to me. Also easy to exercize up there, hiking, jogging, and easy to walk your dog.

In terms of price to rent, you are looking at around 45K min for a 900sqft place, and upwards from there. So if you are after say 1500 sqft, its going to be pricey- 90K a month or more (although possible some bargains around in older places).

Shopping at the supermarket is OK, not great, but OK.

For transport, I would say either car, or tram/taxi would be the way I would have gone (most of the apartments up there if not all come with car parking). I actually considered a car with a personal driver, but did not want to fork out for additional accomodation for the driver (and definately did not want him living with me!). If you have a large enough place on the Peak, you could possibly accomodate your own driver, which makes travel pretty easy.

Now, waiting for DeletedUser.

Can someone pass me the popcorn?

Fiona in HKG and elle like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:

Too busy looking for the corkscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:

You have to say Randy is a really good troll, the guy live in the shithole call park island because he didn't want to accomodate a driver on the peak ...
    HowardCoombs, Mat, Skyhook and 4 others like this.

I choose Park Island because it offered me the same things I was looking for (cleaner air, and lack of traffic etc) at a lower cost. And actually the facilities are much better than anything on the Peak in terms of gyms, pools, etc. I see nothing overly extragavent about a having a driver. Cost is around 8K a month, and that gives you great convienience and also no need to pay for parking fees. I right now share a driver with a friend and it works out very well.

I have to laugh though - a guy from a place called "Sui Lam", wherever that is, criticizing PI as a living choice. Oh, and you know what Sui Lam sounds like in Cantonese don't you? Let me give you a clue - "Sui" means small, "Lam" sounds alot like ... (work it out...)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast