Like Tree73Likes

living on The Peak

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

living on The Peak

I am relocating to HK and we are currently planning to live on The Peak - we are attracted to the seemingly breezier environment and hoping the air quality is a bit better. Are we misinformed?

Quote Originally Posted by kcusack
    Are we misinformed?
    Yes, indeed.

Hmmmm, we live near the peak, well, halfway to nearly there and yes, air quality may differ but marginally. Smog does rise as hot air does. I do love the breeze if I go walking around. Winter, you'll get humidity and heavy mist or fog.

Plus the pollution from heavy smoking loud talking mainland and eastern bloc tourists.

Mr Nfixit and I are actually looking at moving to NT for the same, the my guess is we are also delusional....

Last edited by Natfixit; 14-05-2012 at 06:46 PM.

I hope your either very loaded or have a good package as the peak is very very very very very very very very expensive

A lot of the time you'll be living up in the clouds/smog.

ClueMinus and pandancake like this.

walls will start dripping. all art work will be moldy after a few days. all fabrics will feel wet. rugs will be soggy. limited sunlight during the day. shocking traffic on the weekend. you won't be able to hear yourself talk after having all 18 dehumidifiers running at full blast. make sure your cars have super duper fog lights. cross your fingers if you have an emergency, there is only 1 way down. best to have a summer home in the south side if you are going to move to the peak.

ClueMinus likes this.

If you take 1 months rent on the peak and spend it on high quality air purifiers you will enjoy better air quality in a normal apartment, in a much more convenient location. Try to live on floor 30+ and you will not be exposed to roadside pollution at least.

Check here and click on Central/Western rooftop, you see much less pollution compared to roadside: Hedley Environmental Index

As long as you don't have kids I wouldn't worry, and even if it in the end kills you, well something have to.

Last edited by RobRoy; 14-05-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    ClueMinus likes this.

Peak traffic is a nightmare.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

ClueMinus likes this.

I used to live up Mount Butler... always thought that was a nice alternative to the peak.

Problems with living in the Peak area:

1. Most homes are not accessible by public transit, so you will either need a car, or take long walks every day just to get home. This aspect is worse than Discovery Bay. Those walks can take up to 15-25 minutes one way, not counting the time spent waiting for a bus or a mini bus.
    2. Traffic is pretty bad especially during rush hours. It's also pretty bad with all the cars dropping off and picking up kids around the two schools.
    3. Gone are the years where this is an exclusive neighborhood with friendly drivers, especially not the bus drives and mini bus drivers. Everybody is tense and speeding, which makes you wonder why you're here in the first place.
    4. The aftermath of T8 or above is usually pretty bad. Downed branches and trees everywhere. It's pretty miserable if you don't have a car.
    5. Most time of the year it's foggy and moist. You need year round A/C and/or good dehumidifiers. When it's sunny chances are you're still living in a mist of smog.
    6. Mini bus is often full, and sometimes even the bus. If you don't live close to the terminus, you'd be standing in the fog getting all wet from the moisture, and one mini bus after another would just wave at you and keep going. Same for the Peak Tram.
    7. Loud tourists and workers servicing the tourists sharing your ride on public transit, day in and day out, making the buses and trams standing room only and the lines are always long.
    8. Just like the rest of HK, construction work never ends.
    9. Sections of the roads are not pedestrian friendly. If you just want to walk your dog, chances are you need to keep the dog on a short leash and constantly be on the look out for traffic.
    10. No easy access to public hospitals in case of emergencies. Matilda International Hospital is the only hospital and it charges you an arm and a leg for anything.
    11. No more neighborhood shops for anything. You'll be dealing with the chain stores. Even if you can live without the charm of mom and pop stores, no competition means high prices. Also, whatever is not available from these chain stores, you'll have to go to Central or something.
    12. High rent.
    Last edited by ClueMinus; 15-05-2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Added more

I don't think most Peak residents use the bus to go to work

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast