To go with an agent or not?

To go with an agent or not?

I've been on a few websites where home owners post their apartments for rent and I am wondering whether or not there is any disadvantage to not using an agent? Will I be missing out on anything other than the convenience of having an agent do the leg work for me if it is that I choose to contact landlords directly? What is the role of the agent?

For example, I live in China now and the agents take care of the apartment after rental has been agreed upon. If my cable is gone or if I need to send a message to my landlord, I call the agent. How does it work in HK?

In my experience, after renting the property all contact is directly between the landlord and tenant. So, the agent is only for finding the property and doing the contracts and stamp duty. If you are happy doing this by yourself / with the landlord, then you can save yourself the commission that agents get.

The main downside is the size of the available market for places. Relatively few are directly listed by landlords, many many many more are through agents. So if you find the place you like quickly - you win. but you may not.

You gotta roll with it
    You gotta take your time
    You gotta say what you say
    Don't let anybody get in your way
    'Cause it's all too much
    For me to take

you pay commish to an agent.

The direct landlord just wants you to share the stamp duty on the standard agreement (available from stationers).

OP. I am now renting direct with the landlord. She also happens to be a family friend so slightly different. But in general (including time in UK) these independent landlords are more likely to be reasonable with you, actually give a shit about queries you might make, etc. So if possible, go for it.

David. Now I will be singing that all day.

You gotta ROOLLLLLL with ITTTT you gotta TYYYYYAAAAAKKKKE ya tyyyyyime...

Excuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake
    In my experience, after renting the property all contact is directly between the landlord and tenant. So, the agent is only for finding the property and doing the contracts and stamp duty. If you are happy doing this by yourself / with the landlord, then you can save yourself the commission that agents get.
    This was my experience with my first agent but not with my second one.

My second agent was one I would call a full time agent. She has been in the business for 20+ years (not just part time 1-3 years) and over that time period she has helped me find 3 different properties (and many more for my friends, thru my recommendations).

With 2 of those properties, where the landlord was a non-english speaker, our agent helped with all communications. Furthermore, she helped us find various handymen, aircon repair people etc etc. In short, she gave us full service and helped us settle in to multiple properties and made our lives easier; thats why we keep going back to her again and again.

If anyone is looking for a Happy Valley based agent, I would recommend her highly. Her name is Cindy and she has been working at the Happy Valley branch of View More estate agents, on King Kwong Street..

Thanks for the tip Howard will be moving to hong kong in july and happy valley is one of the places we'll be looking at. I'll definitely be looking Cindy up.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using GeoClicks Mobile