Like Tree2Likes

What will rents do the next year?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    12+2 means you can leave after 14 months. 1 year means what, you can leave after 12 months?

So its 12 months or 14 months, not a big difference to me. Why are you bothering to even contemplate between these 2 options? Or do I misunderstand what you are saying?
    The contract has a diplomatic clause, meaning we can only break after 2 years, or after 12+2 but only if we leave Hong Kong (which is unlikely), so there would be a difference of basically a year.

I know ... I know, nobody knows just wondering what everybody is thinking ...

From today's newspaper

"Hong Kong Monetary Authority chief executive Norman Chan Tak-lam said flat prices resumed an upward trend in February and March, following a period of consolidation brought about by the last round of anti- cyclical measures taken in June"

I too think prices will rise and then come down. But the problem is, I have no idea where the inflexion point is and neither does anyone else, to my knowledge!

Lots of chinese investors drove prices up; China looks like it might be coming off the high growth rate so perhaps fewer folks with money to burn in the future -> less bullish growth.

But, there is limited land in HK and increasing numbers of people - and people want larger places as they get richer -> pressure upwards on house prices

But the Gov't has land it could release; it could also reform the NT zoning and allow higher rises in village freeing up a huge amount of capacity - all down to gov't policy - and who has any idea what the new guy will do on that?

I have no idea. I wouldn't want to be locked in for 2 years though.

my 2 cents, rents will remain flat due to the shortage, property prices are still on the up and up due to shortage also, The Govt will continue to squeeze the property market by slowing releasing land as they dont want a fall in property prices which would lead to LK Shing B!TCH slapping CY Leung

Even if property prices do drop, rental costs takes quite a while to follow suit, this is what I have seen in my area, may not be relevant to other areas.

based on experience of looking for identical apartments in identical areas 12 months apart, I would say rental prices have come down slightly. But only slightly. For example, properties that 12 months ago were asking 26k with no negotiation are now going for 24k.

bryant.english likes this.

We are going to get more money printing, more easing, continuing lengthening of low US interest rates and foreign money flooding to Asia as a safe haven, particularly HK and Singapore due to the ease of capital inflows and also relatively strong banking privacy. Combine that with the hesitancy of those not already in the property to buy, and thus a preference to rent (eg The Brit) and you will see rents move up. My guess is around 8 percent this year.