Like Tree7Likes

With a max budget of $HK 12,000 per month...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PaoloBK

Lightbulb With a max budget of $HK 12,000 per month...

Can you get?
    - furnished studio
    - clean, bright
    - MTR route on HK island

What is the best way to find this gem of a place upon arrival?
    Craigslist? Realtors?

Start at Chai Wan MTR station and work your way along to Sheung Wan visiting property agents near the different stations.

PaoloBK and dipper like this.

Forget Craigslist for Hong Kong property - it's possible there are some satisfied customers who are keeping quiet, but we do hear and read of plenty of scam ads there!

carang likes this.

you would be far better off looking for unfurnished and then making a trip to ikea for the few things you'll need to set up a studio.

you'll be more likely to find something nicer if you go for unfurnished.

we got the cheapest sofas at ikea for our living room ($549 each), they are small (which you'll need for a studio) and they've lasted a year (and we've got 2 kids jumping on them!)

dipper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch
    Forget Craigslist for Hong Kong property - it's possible there are some satisfied customers who are keeping quiet, but we do hear and read of plenty of scam ads there!
    I am one of the satisfied customers. I did manage to find apartments through craigslist twice, but it's years ago.

Yes, it is entirely do-able. Look for walk up apartments. Those tend to be quite a bit cheaper as most people can't imagine having to walk up a few flights of stairs!

I'm in Tin Hau and some flats are going around 10k. It's a great location

Yep, made the same experience, craigslist isnt really working (yet) in HK, try the many agents along the streets, tell them straight away that you dont want to see their "left over" flats that they will want to show you first, give them clear instructions and at the same time continue to research on the web, try to find a walk up flat that recently got renovated, that should do the trick, you might be able to score sth with a small rooftop too, check sheung wan, i lived there in a very nice place for 10.800 until last year. (Now its 13.000)

Hey, I have an apartment for rent and I am the owner. My existing tenant bought her own apartment and will leave I the first of August. It is located in Wanchai and only 5 minutes to time square and MTR station. 15 min to central. It is called Dandenong mansion and you can check it over google map. Let me know of you have interest and I can send you some picture inside.

If I were you I would forget online listings completely. Your best and cheapest bet is to choose which area you'd like to TRY to live in, and then spend a few days visiting real estate agents. Flat hunter is right, just get out the MTR station, go up to the main road, and walk in to their offices. Tell them your budget (though if I were you, I would go a bit lower, since they are bound to start a bit higher) and go see what they have.

Also -- take my advice and go into the little agent offices that don't have a word of English on all their signs (don't worry, they will speak some English). Agents with flashy signs in English are advertising 'expat' prices.

For $12K you should be fine to find a studio, if not a 1 bedroom.

carang and MovingIn07 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast