Like Tree10Likes

Best location for commuting to airport every day.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

You can also walk from Tung Chung to Cathay City and most of the similar airport support functions. Or cycle for those who think that 15 mins is a long walk.

tsing yi is also a very easy commute to the airport... but only look at the buildings above the mtr station.

MovingIn07 likes this.

I guess also none of us answered your original question.

Tai Po - I wouldn't - there is no real reason to live there and other places are more convenient and more expat orientated.
    Sai Kung - lovely place, wouldn't commute to the airport from there. If that's the kind of place you want to love, try Gold Coast for the nearer (not as nice, but nice in its own right) alternative.
    Mid-Levels - this would work but the downside is that accommodation will be HUGELY more expensive, as will your commute cost (HKD100 each way on the Airport Express). But if you need the bright lights of the city and ex-pat bars - it might work.

commuting from sai kung to the airport by car takes about 1 hour. it is highway almost the entire trip, if you go via sai sha road/shatin/eagle's nest tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I guess also none of us answered your original question.

Tai Po - I wouldn't - there is no real reason to live there and other places are more convenient and more expat orientated.
    Sai Kung - lovely place, wouldn't commute to the airport from there. If that's the kind of place you want to love, try Gold Coast for the nearer (not as nice, but nice in its own right) alternative.
    Mid-Levels - this would work but the downside is that accommodation will be HUGELY more expensive, as will your commute cost (HKD100 each way on the Airport Express). But if you need the bright lights of the city and ex-pat bars - it might work.
    Why would they take the airport express each way and pay 100 HKD each time?

There are alternatives for ppl working in the airport/airlines and they are also alternatives for the public.

I regularly take the bus which cost 20 HKD or so and takes 45 mn from my work place, 5 minutes more that the 10 minutes taxi to the airport express + 30 minutes train.
    Last edited by Mat; 12-06-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Not saying the opposite Griity. Only saying someone working at the airport or for an airline is un-likley to pay 100 HKD each way to the airport on the Airport Express.

I think the above is a perfectly reasonable debate, and if I lived in Mid-levels I'd probably take the bus over the Airport Express and save a packet. I think there are also online discounts for AE tickets. BUT whatever you do, it's still an expense OR a reasonably long journey to do every day if you don't have to.

While those of us who prefer to live in cheaper, quieter locations have no choice but to make a journey every day; those work WORK in the cheaper quieter locations certainly have a choice and I find it quite hard to understand why the OP would want to consider living in Mid- Levels, especially when their other named options were Sai Kung and Tai Po! Not exactly consistent locations.

I think what it says, if I'm honest, is that the OP has no clue about Hong Kong.

TO the OP - whatever you do - DO NO choose somewhere without being here and looking around IN PERSON. Many of the website lie, doctor photographs and nothing can give you a feel for the atmosphere of a place.

clear water bay to airport on sunday at 7.50 pm took me 30 mins by car after realizing my boss (wife) flight lands at 8.15pm and not 8.50 pm

MovingIn07 likes this.

What about living in Macau and getting a helicopter into work every day?

When we first arrived we lived in Disco Bay, then moved to Tung Chung. Both are extremely convenient and easy to get to the airport and pretty much the main/only reason we lived there.

After spending 3 years on Lantau we decided to move down town this year to Hong Kong island. Now we live close to Sheung Wan and the A10 (express airport) bus takes 25 minutes or so to the airport. Pretty darn easy when you consider the Discovery Bay bus takes 20 minutes to the airport. We had always lived on Lantau because we were so concerned about how hard it might be to get to the airport at night or early in the morning if you live on HK island. If I had known how easy it is to live downtown and get to the airport, I would have moved down here ages ago!!! The worst case scenario is you arrive at 3 am and have to take a taxi for HK $300, but chances are that isn't going to happen every day.

Mui Wo is a little bit more difficult as the bus is infrequent and you'd most likely end up taking a taxi (maybe $100? not sure). All of our pilot friends who live either in Mui Wo or South Lantau either get their wives to drop them to the airport or they take a taxi because public transport is pretty bad on Lantau and not frequent.

We know a few pilots who live in the Gold Coast. Regular buses, seems easy enough. I wouldn't want to live there, though. Not much around.

The pilots we know in Sai Kung mostly all drive to the aiport and park there (because they like driving their Porsches!)

Again so much depends on how much space you need, if you have kids, are you single, etc. etc. If you are single you can live anywhere. If you have a family and need more room, then Lantau is a good option.

Tell us more about your needs and we can make suggestions!

TheBrit, MovingIn07 and Skyhook like this.