Like Tree19Likes

Avignon - So Kwun Wat - Nearby Gold Coast

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    The Tuen Mun District Hospital is approx 15 minutes taxi ride away, there are also a number of private clinics in Tuen Mun City itself for vacines and GP visits.

If I can find the number of our old GP we used when we lived in your neigbhourhood, I'll post their number for you here.
    However, Tuen Mun hospital does not have a great reputation. If it's only a "semi emergency" I would try somewhere else. Anywhere else!
    dermotp likes this.

Bryant English - Thank a lot ... I actually do not intend to use the bike with child seat on the main road but only to/from Avignon street to the main Castle peak road. I saw some people did that actually. They they parked the bike oppo to Gold Coast then walk by foot to the plaza. Thanks again to share your thought

Skyhook - If you have an English speaking GP in that area, this would be highly appreciated. We have no clue about this.

bryant.english likes this.

We viewed apartments in Avignon back in April as we are moving to the area soon. Loved the spacious, brand new apartments, amazing kitchens with drop-down tv screen (!). We were told that most apartments do not have car park included, but you can rent underground space for 3000 per month, so that would be factored in to overall cost. However, it did feel a bit clinical and soul-less, walking around the grounds.
    Does anyone know if there are many expats there?
    Hopefully the traffic won't be too bad when Harrow opens as it is a boarding school, and they will have a fleet of buses bringing in a lot of the day students.
    We liked Aegean Coast - lovely clubhouse, but unfortunately apartments are very small for a family of four plus dog.
    If anyone can give any recommendations for other complexes to look at, would love to hear your advice. Is it only GC that won't accept dogs as a blanket policy, then after that it's down to individual landlords?
    Considering Peridot Court, Aegean Santorini, Hillgrove or Grand Pacific Heights...

Quote Originally Posted by helloammy:
    Bryant English - Thank a lot ... I actually do not intend to use the bike with child seat on the main road but only to/from Avignon street to the main Castle peak road. I saw some people did that actually. They they parked the bike oppo to Gold Coast then walk by foot to the plaza. Thanks again to share your thought
    We really enjoy it....actually we have two boys, a nearly 3 years old and 4 and a half years old. My wife has a kiddy seat on her bike and I have one on mine!

Up until about a year ago my wife was just learning to ride so we did it like this!!!

Lol, ages since I looked at this photo!

Our boys now have Strider bikes of their own and love them!

helloammy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    However, Tuen Mun hospital does not have a great reputation. If it's only a "semi emergency" I would try somewhere else. Anywhere else!
    Give it a farkin rest Moving, you dont even have children FFS.....

Considering the work load that hospital is under, I reckon they do a pretty good job, overall. Also, all of Hong Kongs doctors have to do their residency in a public hospital before they branch out into the private sector. Our Gyno at the Adventist hospital did his residency at TMDH.

My wife has given birth at TMDH twice and we have had no issues and you know what. Private hospitals in HK cant deal with emergencies. When I asked our gyno at the Adventist hospital ( private hospital ) where we had originally planned to give birth of our first child, in the event of life threatening complication etc, he told me point blank that they will automatically send her ( the patient ) to a public hospital anyway !

so contrary to what you believe, I felt it was logical to give birth in the public hospital as they can to deal with it on the spot, instead of losing precious minutes in the back of an ambulance.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 16-06-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Give it a farkin rest Moving, you dont even have children FFS.....
    I don't see how not having children means someone isn't entitled to express their opinion on the quality of hospital emergency care.
    SiuMaiTaiTai likes this.

Thanks bibbju. I was going mainly on the surveys and reports I read in the SCMP. Because I live here, I notice that Tuen Mun hospital is pretty much always at the bottom of the rankings, for everything I've seen. Sad since as you note it's where I would end up in a real emergency. So if it's NOT an "emergency" as I noted above, I will seek private treatment elsewhere. That way, it takes the pressure off the public hospital and they can treat others who can't afford private care.

asianbelle and helloammy like this.

Snuffy - During flat vieving, we saw 3 expat family living at Avignon Tower 1 & 2. We are moving in Aug and we are also expat family.

Bryant.English -Love your photo lol .. must be hard work for the twin

Eveyone - Thank you very much for your input, this is highly appreciated. Any comment pls feel free to share. See you around in piazza soon

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos93:
    Actually So Kwun Wat is a shocking place with all this Container lorries around.
    Eh? Living on the edge of the village, I'd have to say that nearly all the container lorries are barrelling down the freeway rather than in the village. There is a smallish container park out the front of Avignon, but it doesn't seem nearly as heavily used as those around other villages I've seen.

OP will be happy to know that the access road for Harrow is way up opposite the Old Cafeteria Beach carpark. The other end of that road dead-ends as it comes under the freeway by the northern most branch of So Kwun Wat.

I quite like the mini-supermarket at the back of Aegean Coast: you won't find western specialty stuff there, but it's good for basics.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    We really enjoy it....actually we have two boys, a nearly 3 years old and 4 and a half years old. My wife has a kiddy seat on her bike and I have one on mine!

Up until about a year ago my wife was just learning to ride so we did it like this!!!

Lol, ages since I looked at this photo!

Our boys now have Strider bikes of their own and love them!

Do not let Jimbo see the first pictures. Crocs, I mean, really -?