Like Tree18Likes

Anyone ever been to Tuen Mun?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm someone else who's quite happy living in Tuen Mun district, although now at the opposite end of it from Lam Tei.
    It's true that the beaches aren't a patch on eastern Australia or Hawaii, but they're no worse (and possibly better) than many places that go by the name "beach" in the UK. There are signs up saying that it's advisable not to swim for a few days after heavy rain, but IMHO these are past their use-by date as they are survivors from when there were piggeries in the surrounding hills. Water quality is touch and go: yesterday Golden/ Cafeteria beaches weren't too bad, but the water just around the headland at Kadoorie was full of stuff (mostly leaves and twigs, admittedly). Castle Peak was good.

What I will say is that this corner of Hong Kong is "quiet" by LOCAL standards; coming from rural England it will still seem pretty "hyper"

l too livi in Tuen Mun but in the GOLD COAST area just South of the main town. thats the place to come for expat stuff. TuenMun is a fine place but while quieter than Central note nowhere inHK is very - quiet!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Original Post Deleted
    We visit there every few months with the whole family. Some reasons:
    Gold coast hotel/beach
    Tuen Mun Town Hall has fairly regular and decent concerts for kids and adults
    Horses
    Lung Kwu Tan beach
    Tuen Mun Park

I wouldn't want to live there as its too far for me, wife & kids but its a nice enough area to visit every once in a while and fairly convenient too.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    who needs that crowding and price everyday???
    every day, tsk tsk, see me after class
    bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    every day, tsk tsk, see me after class
    For a spanking sir? Will it..... will it hurt....just a little bit sir?

Her home is the valley,
    Her heart is the sea,
    Twixt mountain, river and ocean,
    Her beauty calls to me.

Golden sands at Castle Bay,
    Emerald forest on Castle Peak,
    'tis the jewel in Hong Kong's crown,
    Of which today I speak.

You can see it in the markets,
    On the modern silver trams,
    From expat playground Gold Coast,
    On up to Lam Tei Dam.

No shining lights,
    No smog filled streets,
    No Hong Kong or Kowloon,
    Give me peace and tranquility,
    My home, beloved Tuen Mun....

*Gag*

I just submitted my poem to a Tuen Mun facebook site, lol....

Tuen Mun Old Photos

Bryant loves Tuen Mun (I will get you a I "heart" Tuen Mun T-Shirt) and has good reason. It is a nice place to live.

Here there is good shopping, nice beaches (not so nice water), excellent transport to Kowloon, HK Island and with ferries to Tung Chung and Macau, more green open space and great food places especially if you are willing to eat local food. There are a few expat based places in Gold Coast and if you go to Yuen Long there is lots more on offer.

Few highlights for me are Tsing Shan Monastery where Bruce Lee filmed part of "Enter the Dragon". There are nice views from the mountain over Tuen Mun. Tuen Mun Town plaza is great when you can not be bothered fighting through Sogo but allow a few hours in case you get lost (can be a maze). Running along the river with no smog in my lungs and sometimes seeing the dragon boat guys training and finally my little village life where you have a sense of community.

Few negatives are if you go out for a beer then you may find yourself hoping you do not miss the last bus or MTR (West rail returning to Tuen Mun departs Hung Hom around 12:30am) and for some the lack of expats but personally I like that.

You may find it a shock when you first arrive but only because it is different but you soon get over that.

Thanks for all of the advice, guys, appreciate it.

There's obviously a contrast of opinion but I reckon I'd probably end up agreeing with those that like it. I've done some reading and had a wander around in Street View and it's looking like my sort of place; humble and 'local', not too much hustle and bustle but just enough to keep me happy. And then obviously the transport links to busier places is a bonus and a direct link to Macau is a nice extra!

Either way, it's what you make of I suppose and we definitely plan to make the most of the culture change.

Thanks again

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile