Like Tree1Likes

Work in Hung Hom...best options on where to live under HK8500?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Work in Hung Hom...best options on where to live under HK8500?

Hi everyone,

Some advice needed please...

I'm relocating from Toronto, Canada to Hong Kong mid-July. My company is paying for 2 weeks hotel stay and then I need to find a place.

I'll be on a quest to find a flat within the budget of HK7000-HK8500 (furnished: bed, fridge, stove, AC, washer/dryer).

Is this possible?
    Which area should I be looking at? - would like to work as close to work as possible (I was thinking I'd like to keep within the radius of West of Nathan Road and South of Prince Edward Road West and East of Olympic Avenue).

Should I go with an agent?

Thanks...all advice welcomed!

Wincy

Just walk into any estate agent in the area you're interested in and they'll show you round. The process of renting is very quick so you can wait til you get here.

I wouldn't worry about being physically close to work....HK isn't a big place...just look at transport links. The MTR from Hung Hom will get you to most of Kowloon and the New Territories within half an hour so you have plenty of choice.

For that price in the area you describe, you can live in either a very small flat(less than 400sq ft) in an oldish building or larger in an older walk up. If they're renovated, it could be nice but you'll be smack in the crowd, pollution etc... If that's you thing great... Otherwise you could get 700 sq ft in a village house in the NT with more outdoor space but less convenience and a slightly longer commute or something a bit smaller in a newish development in a place like Ma On Shan with facilities.

Agents are a dime a dozen everywhere and almost all rentals go through them...

Quote Originally Posted by wincywoo
    I'll be on a quest to find a flat within the budget of HK7000-HK8500 (furnished: bed, fridge, stove, AC, washer/dryer).

Is this possible?
    Highly IMPOSSIBLE for that budget.

Not impossible, it's just going to be small and in an older building.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Drop the "furnished", the "stove" and the "washer/dryer". In small Hong Kong flats, which is what you would get at your budget, you won't get these. The "stove" isn't used in Chinese home cooking and are very uncommon (although you will see someone post that their 1500 sf $30K flat has one, thinking that is a direct comparison ). Again, small Hong Kong flats typically don't have the room for washer/dryers. Unfurnished is more common but you may find a landlord who will put some furniture in the place. Just expect very little "style" or comfort.

So three options, rethink your wish list, commute some distance, or increase your budget.

Oh, and in Hong Kong it's 2 months' deposit, first month upfront and half a month for the agent (sometimes negotiable) - 3.5 months' money to start. Some people expect everywhere is the same as "back home"; it's not, so some advance warning.

chingleutsch likes this.

Hardly impossible!

Friend of mine just rented a 400sq ft flat a couple of weeks ago in this building:
    Buy Property in Hong Kong | Hong Kong Homes for Sales and Rent | GoHome

8K/month

Appliances but no washer/drier

The OP needs to clarify where in Hung Hom she is working. It can be the part thats close to the MTR, or further up towards To Kwa Wan where its also considered to be in Hung Hom. If its that latter, its a bit of distance to walk from the MTR station, and trip on a bus/minbus is needed, and you can think about areas like Wong Tai Sin, Diamond Hill, Kowloon City and San Po Kong.

Oh, I'll be working in the vicinity of Fisherman's Wharf.
    I'm not familiar with how good/bad commuting is...I've been to HK several times (as a tourist)...so living there will be quite different.

Thanks everyone for all the advice...is Diamond Hill area (near the MTR)...approximately 30-35 minutes commute? (I've mapquested the distance and that's what the mapquest commute is telling me) - is it semi-correct?

I don't need "stove" - as like North American style one...but I do see that units have some form of a flat-burner. I don't even necessarily need that...possibly just a microwave is fine.

As for washer/dryer...they come in a combo (no?)...I also see some of those posted too as being included...that's why I'm just asking.

It'll be quite a change for me...looking forward to it all...

=)

How far a distance is Ma On Shan from Hung Hum (Fisherman's Wharf) area??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast