Will be working in Kowloon Tong - Another 'where to live' thread!

Will be working in Kowloon Tong - Another 'where to live' thread!

I've been in HK over 7 months now, and have lived in three places: Two different apartments in Causeway Bay and one in Wan Chai (where I'm presently located). I do love the island side in general, even if it does go against by nature to some extent (difficult to find peace, constant noise, very fast-paced, etc). However, the convenience it offers with fantastic restaurants, transport, attractions, etc, is something I've grew to love. Plus... I spend a lot of time partying in Central and Wan Chai. lol. I have to be honest and say giving these things up is difficult for me, hence the thread..

That being said, I've started to resent my apartment and now physically cannot stand being in it. It's not even 200 sq ft and I'm paying 9000HKD. It has a huge banner outside obscuring any view and I hate the lack of space to cook and generally just relax. I feel trapped and claustrophobic.

From August, I'll be working in Kowloon Tong and from December, I'm definitely going to relocate. As I'm very inexperienced in HK still, I thought I'd seek advice on a new area to live. Here's my criteria (open to all suggestions btw) - my budget is around 8k, but I'm willing to stretch to 10 if I could find somewhere great. I don't mind staying on the island

-Convenient transport links to Central / Wan Chai / Kowloon Tong each way (MTR, bus) 24 hours and no more than 20 minutes commute.
    -No preference for either island (I understand Kowloon side is already better suited)
    -Very good restaurants nearby
    -Apartment around 400-500 sq ft at least, being spacious enough to cook properly and do my laundry myself.
    -More peaceful than the relentless noise that plagues many areas in HK but without sacrificing the convenience many offer.

Am I asking too much? I think this is definitely reasonable... Let's see what you guys can suggest to me!

Thanks

Adam

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by AJ9
    I've been in HK over 7 months now, and have lived in three places: Two different apartments in Causeway Bay and one in Wan Chai (where I'm presently located). I do love the island side in general, even if it does go against by nature to some extent (difficult to find peace, constant noise, very fast-paced, etc). However, the convenience it offers with fantastic restaurants, transport, attractions, etc, is something I've grew to love. Plus... I spend a lot of time partying in Central and Wan Chai. lol. I have to be honest and say giving these things up is difficult for me, hence the thread..

That being said, I've started to resent my apartment and now physically cannot stand being in it. It's not even 200 sq ft and I'm paying 9000HKD. It has a huge banner outside obscuring any view and I hate the lack of space to cook and generally just relax. I feel trapped and claustrophobic.

From August, I'll be working in Kowloon Tong and from December, I'm definitely going to relocate. As I'm very inexperienced in HK still, I thought I'd seek advice on a new area to live. Here's my criteria (open to all suggestions btw) - my budget is around 8k, but I'm willing to stretch to 10 if I could find somewhere great. I don't mind staying on the island

-Convenient transport links to Central / Wan Chai / Kowloon Tong each way (MTR, bus) 24 hours and no more than 20 minutes commute.
    -No preference for either island (I understand Kowloon side is already better suited)
    -Very good restaurants nearby
    -Apartment around 400-500 sq ft at least, being spacious enough to cook properly and do my laundry myself.
    -More peaceful than the relentless noise that plagues many areas in HK but without sacrificing the convenience many offer.

Am I asking too much? I think this is definitely reasonable... Let's see what you guys can suggest to me!

Thanks

Adam

Look at Mongkok East, Hunghom, To Kwa Wan, Ho Man Tin Jordan ....

For 8k and with your criteria (transport and size) HK island isn't doable.

There are still plenty of walk ups in Wanchai that are over 400sq ft and around 8-9K. Go look around Queen's Rd East on the side streets. Kennedy st might be a good fit, quieter and convenient.

You'll get more bang for your buck in Kowloon however western type restaurant are less plentiful than on the Island but still plenty of great asian options and you can shop at Taste in KT to get more variety of western food, you'll have an easier commute to work. One would assume that you will go to work more often than to Wanchai...

I saw 2 bed 550-600 sq ft walk ups on Elgin st for 9k. Look around.

Of course old deco, but only affects kitchen and bath usually.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Unfortunately Elgin St to Kowloon Tong in under 20 minutes isn't going to happen.

I'd second the suggestions of Hung Hom heading around to To Kwa Wan; around the back streets of Mong Kok - Shek Kip Mei - Cheung Sha Wan would also be possible. You definitely get more space if you're prepared to accept a walk-up place (even more if you're prepared to give it a lick or three of paint yourself rather than having the landlord do it). Just be aware that freshly painted ceilings in top floor older flats can mean the roof is leaking.

You are right....prob need 15 min walk plus mtr. But if you love the nightlife, worth a look.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Very interesting suggestions, thanks guys.

I've spent a lot of time around Jordan and Mong Kok, but is MK East really different / more resedential? The convenience of MK would be great for things like shopping / etc, and given then location of it, I'd assume it's not too far to travel back to the island etc for social stuff.

Hung Hom looks very interesting and convenient / close to the harbour as well. What's it like as an area to live in though?

Oh, and a walk-up place does not bother me at all. I'm certainly not against it.

Interesting posts guys. I'm looking for something similar too. I'll be working in the Hung hom area.