Like Tree4Likes

Working in Times Square and want to live close by for $11,500 or less

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Working in Times Square and want to live close by for $11,500 or less

Hi there! I am moving to HK in September and beginning to think about accommodation and the best neighbourhoods in which to live. I'm going to be working in Times Square in Causeway Bay, and would like to live very close to work, as I predict I'm going to be working Extremely long hours. I have a $11,500 budget for an apartment (not including utilities), but of course something cheaper would be fantastic (more money to travel!).

Of the triumvirate of location, price and size, location and price are most important - as long as it's 350 sq ft or larger, I'm fine on size.

Do you think my budget's sufficient to find a place of that size for a single woman in a vibrant district? It would be great to live in a fairly hipster neighbourhood with a lot of young people around. I've been looking at Wan Chai, but would love any recommendations too! Thanks in advance for your help, and please let me know if I'm being unrealistic so that I can adjust my expectations

Last edited by almondize; 07-07-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Old Buildings

Look at Wanchai, old buildings. You will find some nice apartments. Also consider Happy Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by almondize
    Hi there! I am moving to HK in September and beginning to think about accommodation and the best neighbourhoods in which to live. I'm going to be working in Times Square in Causeway Bay, and would like to live very close to work, as I predict I'm going to be working Extremely long hours. I have a $11,500 budget for an apartment (not including utilities), but of course something cheaper would be fantastic (more money to travel!).

Of the triumvirate of location, price and size, location and price are most important - as long as it's 350 sq ft or larger, I'm fine on size.

Do you think my budget's sufficient to find a place of that size for a single woman in a vibrant district? It would be great to live in a fairly hipster neighbourhood with a lot of young people around. I've been looking at Wan Chai, but would love any recommendations too! Thanks in advance for your help, and please let me know if I'm being unrealistic so that I can adjust my expectations
    almondize likes this.

But as a general rule, young people here live with their parents until they get married (and often afterwards) - there aren't any areas where young people tend to have apartments; those that do are spread around. Having said that, Causeway Bay and Wan Chai are both areas with concentrations of nightlife, so they're probably the closest you'll get.

Thanks for the tip! Happy Valley and Wanchai both sound like good options. Where do people usually look for apartments? I've been looking at squarefoot.hk and gohome.hk - any other recommendations? Or do people usually just have to find listings in person once there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    But as a general rule, young people here live with their parents until they get married (and often afterwards) - there aren't any areas where young people tend to have apartments; those that do are spread around. Having said that, Causeway Bay and Wan Chai are both areas with concentrations of nightlife, so they're probably the closest you'll get.
    Yeah that's what I've heard too What about the young expats though? Seems like there'd be a good number of finance/consulting/industry people in the regional offices of companies there.

you will get more for your buck in north point, tin hau, quarry bay (12 mins on mtr), probably 500 sq ft as oppose to 350sq ft in wan chai, plus some parts of wan chai are very seedy and not even nice on lockhart rd, happy valley is nice but a premium area, probably even smaller ( 200 sq ft) for that budget

Yeah that's what I've heard too What about the young expats though? Seems like there'd be a good number of finance/consulting/industry people in the regional offices of companies there.
    No, young expats in HK e.g. people in their 20's don't live with their parents. The commute has proven to be too much.

Mat

Thanks for the tip! Happy Valley and Wanchai both sound like good options. Where do people usually look for apartments? I've been looking at squarefoot.hk and gohome.hk - any other recommendations? Or do people usually just have to find listings in person once there?
    look when u arrive....internet gives u an idea but nothing is better than going by urself. there are real estate agency every 10 meters so finding one isnt an issue.

finding a flat is also very quick so no worries.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile
    dear giant likes this.

Agreed, internet puts a lot of fake ones there for advertisement purposes to get business in the door.

Look when you arrive. Be wary for shady agents.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

dear giant likes this.

You might want to consider a flat share too. I found one on here and although I'm paying 15k I'm in a 1100 sq ft place and I can see both times square and happy valley from my balcony. Literally 2 min walk from TS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast