Like Tree19Likes

Park Island real estate agents

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by randy1
    Howard Coombs - I hope are you reading this...! Its entirely consistent with the point I made to you earlier.
    Look, he mentioned Stanley in his post. Thats your cue to write up a whole post about the advantages of PI vs Stanley.
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by njaeger
    Jgl, my distances aren't off. And that port is actually just as close to Ma Wan than it is to Kennedy Town or Sai Ying Pun.... Minus all the dust and noise from construction sites and exhaust fumes from cars. Anyways , pollution is everywhere and never part of my choice when i chose a place in hk

NW14 i agree with you. Believe me if i had the money, i'd live in happy valley as well. Unfortunately i dont, and we just had a baby, so the best choice for us was PI.
    I agree, and I've said it before to others - the biggest source of air pollution in HK are those places where you have densely packed highrises and then 24/7 cars, busses, trucks churning out fumes. Added to that are the harmful dust pollution that comes from construction (not to mention even the "noise pollution". I have lived in both locations, and HK island is in general way worse for such types of pollution (not all parts of course, but 95% of locations on the island are, with the other 5% being highly expense, the Peak, Repulse Bay etc).

Njaeger, its interesting to say if you had the money you would live in HV. For me, I was able to afford to live in most places of HK quite well, but still choose Park Island, as it has a number of features that you can't get pretty much anywhere on HK. Let me ask you, assuming you could live in HV from a financial perspective, would you really feel OK with your wife trying to push a pram or carry a baby around there? You might realize, if this is your first baby, that HK in general is really quite hard to navigate a pram around etc, even in a relatively flat area like HK. And you will realize that prams are actually at a height whereby its almost perfect for car and truck exhausts to blow fumes directly into their mouths/lungs as you walk by pushing a pram just a meter or so away on the path. Not to mention the noise damage to a developing child's ears. I have spoken to many parents who only realized this after having a kid, and who now appreciate so much more why PI is a good choice for parents with young children (quite apart from the affordability of the place).

Even assuming you could afford to live in the same size place in HV, I doubt there really are the range of open spaces, play areas, BBQs, beaches, pools, gyms, parents' groups, etc that there are on PI, all walkable from outside your door? Almost every parent I have met on Park Island finds it inceradibly good value. In fact I have heard it said that in many parts of the world (Singapore for example) people would pay a premium for all such benefits, yet in HK is ironic that on Park Island you get all this at a discount (although maybe that arbitrage will change over time).

Randy, i listed on the page before my criteria for a flat. First one was the price. The flat i got in PI is perfect. If i could have the same in HV, it would easily cost me $35M i would say.
    I used to live in HV and loved it there. But if you want a new building, with 3 beds, 2 baths, unobstructed view from all windows, and a club house with a pool and a gym... That will cost you a lot.
    I think i would be happy pushing the pram in HV. Its a lot quieter and less traffic than most part of HK. But i know what you mean. For a kid, PI is a lot better. No doubt about that.

Yip, noted. That was the point I was trying to make to Howard Coombs. Its all fine and good telling people how nice happy valley is ... if you happen to be paying 50% or so below current market prices in rent!

And in terms of buying, as you say, its a no brainer - 35m or 6-8m for the same sized place of similar quality. Lets see what happens to Howard if/his landlord ever jacks up rents.

Yip, noted. That was the point I was trying to make to Howard Coombs. Its all fine and good telling people how nice happy valley is ... if you happen to be paying 50% or so below current market prices in rent!
    umm, no. Its all fine and good even if you are paying full whack. Happy valley is a fantastic place, the population knows about it and that's why there is no shortage of people willing to move in there at the given prices. PI is cheap for a reason and its not because its an undiscovered gem. But you go ahead and keep whistling dixie.

And in terms of buying, as you say, its a no brainer - 35m or 6-8m for the same sized place of similar quality.Lets see what happens to Howard if/his landlord ever jacks up rents.
    If that happens we will move away but it wont be to PI.

The point that *I* was trying to make was that it makes no sense to compare them.
    The point that NW14 was trying to make was the same when he said " because you cannot compare park island to Happy Valley. Apples and oranges. Trying to do so helps no-one"...but alas you just wont give up and keep comparing the 2 even when it makes no sense....

I now await your new comparison : PI vs Stanley

OK, thanks for clarifying. I thought you WERE trying to compare PI to HV. It was my point that you doing this was not of much help to the OP, and you now seem to agree. So anyhow all's clear there.

As to whether Park Island is an undiscovered gem or not, I would say that I feel it is very much still quite "undiscovered". I find very often, people have heard of DB, visited it, etc. Whereas, when you mention Park Island, a typical response is:

"Oh yeah, I've heard of it. I know some friends who live there and really like it... Where exactly is it anyhow?"

Anyone who lives on PI will tell you they get such replies. And when someone does come out for the first time they are quite pleasently suprised. So I do feel its "undiscovered". Again, people who live there will tell you its becoming much more popular with expats in the last few years, but still I can tell you many many expats really don't know much about it.

Now as to weather is a "'gem" that is really open to each person's view. My own view is that it renting on Park Island is certainly outstanding value for money, in terms of the quality and facilities you get.

Re Stanley, I did actually consider Stanley as a place to live in HK (and/or also to invest). My feeling was the location is quite a far drive, poor public transport if you do not have a car, and that you can get really nice places at 100k+ a month, but if you are looking at the 20-30K per month budget, the apartments tend to be quite old, shoddy, no facilities etc.

Last edited by randy1; 16-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.

OK, thanks for clarifying. I thought you WERE trying to compare PI to HV.
    Could you please point out which post or posts of mine were comparing PI and HV?
    It was my point that you doing this was not of much help to the OP, and you now seem to agree. So anyhow all's clear there.
    You are certainly inventive. You started comparing the 2 and now claim they are not worth comparing...

I'll stick to my original description : you *are* the PI troll of Geo.

Mat

Guys,

Different people, different tastes, let's leave it there

the World would be so dull if we weere all thinking the same way.

HowardCoombs likes this.

How old are you guys?
    I am right, no he is, no he said that first, no i didn't say that...oh so i will call you names then!

Wow! That is interesting!

I noticed on this forum no one is helpful. Everyone just slags the other persons off with their ideas and are trying to prove a point. How about sharing? Just share your opinion without trying to make a useless point.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6