discovery bay...a blissful oasis with strong community feel or an expat ghetto?

discovery bay...a blissful oasis with strong community feel or an expat ghetto?

i start of by saying i have no clue.We are considering moving back to hong kong after five years in europe.We do not want to or have the means to spend a complete fortune on our accomodation however we need some space as we are two adults and two young children and we are used to a bit of green.
    We would love an apartment that is in a complex with lots of kids so we have a community environment for our kids to play in.
    We had heard that DB offers this...does anyone have any recommendations of actualy apartment block names and streets that are nice....or is the DB idea not a good starting point.
    Where in hong kong does one get this living experience.We cannot afford to join clubs and all that so we would need a pool and playground at the apartment block....
    please please any advice as we so much want to move but dont want to end up with our kids in the wronf type of accomodation..
    thanks in advance
    and what about baguio?

DB is excellent for a family with kids. block names, street names for suggestions would depend completely on your budget and requirements.

however, in order to have access to the pools, you MUST be a residents' club member... which i think is running about $600/month/adult....

the best anyone can suggest is that you come and look first... and set your budget. you also need to figure out which is most important for you: location, facilities, price, commute, access to schools etc.

I agree with Cara, street/village/block recommendations depend on your budget and how you and your family need to commute.
    Access to the clubs (Club Siena and DB Residents Club) is currently HK$ 520.- per month/adult.
    You will hear many different opinions about DB (many from people who have actually never lived there ), I personally love living in DB and love the community.

thanks, elle.... when i lived in db it was $400/month for the club membership. someone on another thread/forum wrote that it was $600/month now.... thank you for the correction.

i, too, loved living in db and still miss the community very much.

bdw

I moved out of DB 2.5 years ago, but back then I lived in Chianti that had a pool that was free for residents. No need to join the residents club just for pool.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    I moved out of DB 2.5 years ago, but back then I lived in Chianti that had a pool that was free for residents. No need to join the residents club just for pool.
    Chianti is great when you commute by bus, if your daily commute is done by ferry it's not that convenint. Altough there is a Wellcome at the North Plaza (near Chianti) - the choice there is fairly limited, for fresh fruits and veggies most residents still go to Fusion at the South Plaza. The choice of restaurants at the North Plaza is currently 3 I think (Paisanos, an Indian Restaurant with not exactly the best reputation and Jaspa's.
    Again, it all depends on your budget and your priorities.
    Last edited by elle; 10-07-2012 at 09:19 PM.