Like Tree7Likes

Small house grant, but no land.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Small house grant, but no land.

Hi fooks,

any info will be much appreciated.
    I and my brother have to "rights for a small house grant" We are able to finance the construction at 4.000.000 HK$ but we have no land since our father has been living abroad for more than 40 years and any land he had right to is highly likely to be not his any more.
    So my question is can we still apply for a piece of land to construct the two small houses? If so how much do we need to pay for the land as I keep reading about premium but no hard figures are mentioned.
    Where do I apply for the land? The village-head or the government?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thanks for your replies in advacne

correct me if i'm wrong but would a bunch of expats be the right ones to answer this question for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    correct me if i'm wrong but would a bunch of expats be the right ones to answer this question for you?
    You're not wrong, but despite the name there are plenty of locals on this site.
    dossier likes this.

If you are an indigenous village resident, it does not really matter how long you have been living away from HK, as long as your father, grand father is logged in the village 'Chuk po' in the village hall you will able to locate some land with some 'negotiations' with the village chief an reps.

Alternatively you can just buy some land from reliable real estate agents.

$2m per house built is using the best materials and also bear in mind the property tax should you sell after the build within 5 years.

dear giant and Ferry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry:
    Hi fooks,

any info will be much appreciated.
    I and my brother have to "rights for a small house grant" We are able to finance the construction at 4.000.000 HK$ but we have no land since our father has been living abroad for more than 40 years and any land he had right to is highly likely to be not his any more.
    So my question is can we still apply for a piece of land to construct the two small houses? If so how much do we need to pay for the land as I keep reading about premium but no hard figures are mentioned.
    Where do I apply for the land? The village-head or the government?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thanks for your replies in advacne

you can't apply for land, it's either distributed from the govt via the village chief or purchased via an estate agent, you can enquire with local estate agents for land prices or directly village (note some are looney and have no sense of reality of market prices,on the other hand, very rare occasion, they can sell on the cheap).

also note that it could take uo to 2 years for you apply to building permission from government

please confirm which village you are from and note that your (丁權) rights to build is only for your village ( unless you buy someone else at another village which u wish to build)

for the person asking, this forum has a large number of expats, overseas born chinese (primarily cos local forums are in chinese only) as well as locals

Quote Originally Posted by rural_runner:
    If you are an indigenous village resident, it does not really matter how long you have been living away from HK, as long as your father, grand father is logged in the village 'Chuk po' in the village hall you will able to locate some land with some 'negotiations' with the village chief an reps.
    very unfortunately, but true

@jw1701, I'll be the judge if any information that is replied on this post will be "right", "wrong" or useful according my current need of feedback. Your post is clearly not helping. It's impolite to answer/reply a question with a question, since it rarely provides an solution and it's bad etiquette. Expats, as I see it, are not only foreigners working abroad in in Hong Kong, or any foreign country for that matter. There is a considerable amount of re-immigrating Hong Kong people who have valuable information for me in my current situation. Expatriates used to be a very fancy word for daring people who were willing to work abroad for the right price and privileges, but since globalization, it has become a common phenomenon. The last sentence is just my personal opinion, my 2 cents if you will.

@ big_panda, yes. I Google-d and read the same link you gave me. It gives information about how to apply. However it does not really go into details about land grant or it's application on how to acquire land to construct upon if one does not own it.
    My situation is that I already own a small house which was erected by my grandfather. The land my family owns or had owned is unclear because of the fact that my father has not been back for a few decades and he is unclear whether he has still legal rights to any land.
    Which puts me in my currents situation. I would like to return to Hong Kong. My wife who was born and raised in East Asia does not feel at home in Europe. So I am planning to settle myself in Hong Kong in the near future.

Mat likes this.

In that scenario, I would gather as much info without going through the village reps just yet.

Check that your grandfather and father has been registered in the village books and goto the lands department get some plans of your village and slowly check who's who's.

If you already have a small house you can apply for reconstruction on the same footprint.

I am more or less in the same situation as you and so far it's lots of 'yum cha' to get reacquainted.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry:
    @jw1701, I'll be the judge if any information that is replied on this post will be "right", "wrong" or useful according my current need of feedback. Your post is clearly not helping. It's impolite to answer/reply a question with a question, since it rarely provides an solution and it's bad etiquette. Expats, as I see it, are not only foreigners working abroad in in Hong Kong, or any foreign country for that matter. There is a considerable amount of re-immigrating Hong Kong people who have valuable information for me in my current situation. Expatriates used to be a very fancy word for daring people who were willing to work abroad for the right price and privileges, but since globalization, it has become a common phenomenon. The last sentence is just my personal opinion, my 2 cents if you will.

@ big_panda, yes. I Google-d and read the same link you gave me. It gives information about how to apply. However it does not really go into details about land grant or it's application on how to acquire land to construct upon if one does not own it.
    My situation is that I already own a small house which was erected by my grandfather. The land my family owns or had owned is unclear because of the fact that my father has not been back for a few decades and he is unclear whether he has still legal rights to any land.
    Which puts me in my currents situation. I would like to return to Hong Kong. My wife who was born and raised in East Asia does not feel at home in Europe. So I am planning to settle myself in Hong Kong in the near future.
    if you have an old house within your village and no land, you can always knock down your old house and rebuild a new one, very common practice in HK especially if you village has exhuasted the free land distributions within their village boundaries, on the other hand, if you village is in a remoter location, ie, sha tau kok, shek kong, san tin, chances there may be a higher chance that free land distribution will occur sometime in the future ( could take decades, my village last land distributon was in the 80's)
    dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast