Like Tree2Likes

Village House near Tai Wai

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tai Wai - Lion Rock Tunnel - Choi Hung Interchange - New Clearwater Bay Road.

Either 3 or 5 sets of traffic lights in Tai Wai depending on whether you pick up In Tai Wai centre (5) or at the public transport interchange (3) and 4 sets including the Choi Hung interchange itself. One more set of lights near the Shaw Studio.

If you went via Tates Cairn tunnel you'd avoid lights altogether after Tai Wai but it's a much longer route and the TKO tunnel will slow you down.

carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    what is the quickest during weekend afternoon, i wanna takes some friends to the beach this weekend
    You need to get to Second beach way before lunch time if you want to park, especially if the weather is very good, the 2nd beach car park fills up very fast, they permanently place CAR PARK full signs even at silverstrand round about.

The police will be out in force and might not even let you go inside the car park.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you will get better value money in somewhere like nai chung, ma on shan (5mins bus//minibus from wu kai sha)

if you drive, clear water bay/sai kung or ting kok/tai mei tuk, but rent in clear water bay/sai kung can be twice or 2.5 times of ma on shan or ting kok/tai mei tuk, ie , HK$15000 -16000 for a single 700 sq ft floor of a rural house
    Ehhh ???

ting kok/tai mei tuk, = around 9k for a nice 700sq ft, some as low as 7K
    You don't need a car to live out there, bus of one sort or another along Ting Kok Road every few minutes and Tai Me Tuk has the bus terminal outside. Lived here for 2 yrs and now live closer to Tai Po station because we bought a house and I have to use the MTR a lot these days instead of heading over the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Ehhh ???

ting kok/tai mei tuk, = around 9k for a nice 700sq ft, some as low as 7K
    You don't need a car to live out there, bus of one sort or another along Ting Kok Road every few minutes and Tai Me Tuk has the bus terminal outside. Lived here for 2 yrs and now live closer to Tai Po station because we bought a house and I have to use the MTR a lot these days instead of heading over the border.
    clear water bay/sai kung , but rent in clear water bay/sai kung HK$15000 -16000 for a single 700 sq ft floor of a rural house

ting kok, yes, that correct, relatively cheap, cheaper if you haggle in cantonese as low as 6k for 700sq ft in ting kok village

carwise, essential - no, but it helps alot, ie, instead commuting on 20 mins on bus as it takes the slow route around tai po industrial estate ( plus 5-10 waiting) or 10mins ( plus waiting time) for minibus. takes, less than 5 mins on car, also car parking is relative cheap, ie, in the region of HK$500 to 600 pcm, or free with the house.

also the buses stops at 11ish and minibus at midnight, a car is highly beneficial unless you wanna spend 20-30mins calling a taxi from tai po proper or idling waiting for an empty taxi to come past you after midnight on ting kok road while getting attacked by rampant mossies

I have stayed at my aunty place in ting kok over the summers since 1993 until 2005, i drive there every 2 months now ( perviously from sha tau kok) now based fanling
    Last edited by imparanoic; 18-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.

So you agree then. That's good.

For those who want to look at living out along Ting Kok road then you can ALWAYS get a bus if you come in on the MTR which is what most people look to do. So the question about things after midnight seems a bit moot to me.

I have done the hike from Central to Ting Kok Village, on the night buses, in the pre dawn, in my time there . It's not difficult, if not a little long winded, but most people that WANT to live in a NT village are not going to be regular late night commuters from places far afield, so again moot point I would say. Where the night buses drop of there are always taxi in a line, so no waiting in my experience. The bitch is having to change buses at Hung Hom, walk over the bridge and walk round the station to the terminus. I would never use that red mini Bus from Mong Kok that some here advise so that sacrifice was accepted.

Being in a situation of out after midnight would mostly ( IMHO ) involve alcohol, so whether you have a car again is moot. Unless your a minority that believe you can get pleasure from OJ of think drinking and driving is OK.

I LOVE with big kisses , Tai Po and it's village areas. Now my daughter is getting bigger we will need more space soon so Ting Kok Road, or maybe the houses in the villages above the Wilson Trail ( I live in Lai Chi Shan ) will come into play. --- and I won't need a car for either scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    So you agree then. That's good.

For those who want to look at living out along Ting Kok road then you can ALWAYS get a bus if you come in on the MTR which is what most people look to do. So the question about things after midnight seems a bit moot to me.

I have done the hike from Central to Ting Kok Village, on the night buses, in the pre dawn, in my time there . It's not difficult, if not a little long winded, but most people that WANT to live in a NT village are not going to be regular late night commuters from places far afield, so again moot point I would say. Where the night buses drop of there are always taxi in a line, so no waiting in my experience. The bitch is having to change buses at Hung Hom, walk over the bridge and walk round the station to the terminus. I would never use that red mini Bus from Mong Kok that some here advise so that sacrifice was accepted.

Being in a situation of out after midnight would mostly ( IMHO ) involve alcohol, so whether you have a car again is moot. Unless your a minority that believe you can get pleasure from OJ of think drinking and driving is OK.

I LOVE with big kisses , Tai Po and it's village areas. Now my daughter is getting bigger we will need more space soon so Ting Kok Road, or maybe the houses in the villages above the Wilson Trail ( I live in Lai Chi Shan ) will come into play. --- and I won't need a car for either scenario.
    no, when i drink, i never drive, but there again, i drive mostly in NT (helps alot) and most parts of kowloon than commute on the other hand commuting to kowloon ( in some cases, far better to drive ie, elements or megabox)and hk island is far less hassle than driving ( in other places, ie, tst and mk) , but if i plan to drink in knutsford steps or LKF, i simply don't drive

BTW, the red night mini buses in causeway bay or Mong kok to taipo/fanling/sheung shui seems to be (even though there was a major accident a week ago near hong lok yuen) a lot safer as they have speed limiters nowadays, but that does not prevent dangerous driving as oppose to 30min ( cwb to fanling) midnight 130kph rolllercoaster of possible death 15 years ago as they take double the time nowadays

I will be using public transportation so time is important.