Like Tree9Likes

Airbnb, rent out a room

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks. I am looking at options for Sao Paulo in the Jardin's area. Apartments start from as cheap as 1000 HKD compared to the Regency which wants 5000 USD per night. Greedy buggers.

5K USD a night? Surely that's a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White
    5K USD a night? Surely that's a typo.
    Yes just checked it from my viber messages and was a typo. Was supposed to be 5000 GBP and it was the renaissance and for 3 nights not per night.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

With what they can gouge out of the football fans, they'll be sitting pretty for some time...

Great post by HC. I have used it once (for a room here in HK) and agree with pretty much every point. If we had read every review we would have known about the major drawback in the room we booked... so as he said, couldn't really complain! I would also use it again, within reason.

We are using Airbnb since more than a year now, as hosts and guests.
    There are a few experiences to share.

As for the hosts side, we offer real coffee, tea, shampoo, towels, weekly cleaning service, unlimited free internet, tons of information and sometimes, if we feel our guests are open to local experiences we take them to events or hiking trips with other friends. Hong Kong has a lot to offer here. The room is better than some local hotels offer as 'luxery suite'. Its a private sea view room in a Hong Kong high rise with a extra private bath room.
    We have a lot more friends than before. If we do not get 5 stars in all of the ratings at the end, we always try to figure out, if it was possible for us to do better. Airbnb is trying to educate hosts in that way. That is their unique sales point. We tried some other services, Wimdu is close but others still have a lot more room for improvement to create this special win-win feeling between hosts and guests.
    Most of the time we are successful and we enjoy the feeling beeing happy. Of course the money is important, but also if the guest is happy or not.
    Sometimes we have limited chances to keep our guests happy. We started a bit naive at the beginning. We try now more to find out, if we can meet someones expectations before booking.
    That is why we can not accept any booking and question some basic things from our potantial guests. It may help to understand the hosts perspective when booking through Airbnb, most things should be self understanding:
    - Since we share our apartment and somehow risk our things, we want to have some info about the guests. If the guest is not very responsive or honest or just does not want to share any info, most likely we can not host the guest.
    - Once we approve your request, you should book. Its 'first books, first serve'. We are not fulltime hotel servants and can not keep track of the requests. Dont blame us if we approve you and someone else was faster. It happens that we have more than 3 booking requests for the same period from different services. We make sure our calendar is synchronised, but we can not inform everyone about every request we get and it is only one room, we can offer.

As for the guests side, we have great experience getting places nearby we wanted to be for a fair price in Tokyo and Berlin. We could so far book within a few days, when we made a request.
    In general I would say a Airbnb price should not be higher than half of the next nearby hotel at the same level.
    Read also the comments from HowardCoombs, read the reviews and if in doubt about anything, ask and clarify.

Sometimes I still prefer booking a hotel room over renting a room through Airbnb. It all depends.

Overall my experience with this 'new' sharing econmy is good. I hope that governments all over the world can resist using big data / density of information against common people and allow us to organize ourselves like with Airbnb and btw like it was since centuries before. 'Zimmer frei' or 'Bed & Breakfast' offerings are not so new, but maybe its new for the internet generation(?)

Hope I can get a ueber taxi soon here in town ;-)

Last edited by GermanHongkie; 09-05-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    hktraveller and blackruby like this.

Seems you are the perfect host!
    So it seems HK gvt is not reluctant to get more listings on airbnb, I guess it helps the tourism and hotel shortage.
    Any news about the legal situation of renting our flat/room on the website?

Technically stays under 30 days are illegal and its just trouble. Airbnb has no protection in HK for landlords renting space so be careful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2