Affordability & Suggestions!

Closed Thread

Affordability & Suggestions!

Any suggestions... I am maintaining my apartment in NYC and will need to rent a place in HK for a 9month contract. I am thinking the best solution is a serviced apartment bc of the less than a year time commitment. My budget is super tight; 8,000HKD (I know!)

Do you all agree? Ideally I'd love to be near HKU- the area where my job will be. I've seen posts with links to other serviced apartments but I wanted to see if there was any 1 that you all suggest and ones that you would say DON'T DO IT about! Likewise, if you think there are alternatives, please put them out there. I'd share a flat with someone but I know that can be rough. I am a nonsmoker, and fairly low key.

As always; thank you.

You really want to live in a shoebox for 9 months? You should think twice.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

8K a month on HK island for under a year ... well, miracles happen, but ...
    Low end "serviced apartments" have the reputation for being squalid shoeboxes (think under 150' sq useable area), or you can get a marginally bigger, pay-by-the-month bedsit (called a suite/ 套房)- with a window even, and shabbily furnished - in a subdivided apartment.

I haven't looked at the economics, but something that might possibly work, would be to head to Sok Wu Wan / Mo Tat Wan area on Lamma island, and negotiate monthly rental at one of the holiday flats there (and buy ear plugs for use on weekends). The commute would be walk to ferry, 10 minutes to Aberdeen, then short bus ride to HKU.

Otherwise, flat share.

Nine months isn't a very long time and it's only a bed to sleep in so it shouldn't be hard to put up with a little discomfort... There are several studio places as you've seen but availability can be tight and they will be very small. You should send email and see what is available.

In my opinion, you have a better chance of finding a more pleasant place to stay by sharing...There are usually plenty of offers around.