Like Tree11Likes

Backing out of a tenancy agreement

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Have you tried looking at that new (and probably toothless) equal opportunities legislation? Dunno if it helps, but threatening court action might help if you don't get any compensation. The racism in HK never fails to astound me.
    Ha, you right there, the Equal opps legislation is total bollocks, won't do anything.

OP - fight for compensation (will take ages, but you will get some money out of it), or just walk the fcuk away (quicker, but you won't get extra cash). Personally I suggest just getting your money back from the agent and walk away.

That is what I intend to do. The landlord hasn't inked anything yet anyway, so there wouldn't be any compensation. If he does decide to proceed, then I am effectively locked in.

Quote Originally Posted by hk frd:
    That is what I intend to do. The landlord hasn't inked anything yet anyway, so there wouldn't be any compensation. If he does decide to proceed, then I am effectively locked in.
    I recently signed an agreement, paid the deposit, first month's rent, agent's fee and stamp duty. The lease is to commence on August 1st. We haven't done the key handover yet. Can I back out at this stage?
    why/how did you pay the deposit, first month's rent, agent's fee and stamp duty if the LL hasnt sign the agreement?

Agent.

The agent has collected the cheques. They will Stamp the agreement only after the Landlord signs.Since the landlord has not signed, there is no legal agreement. So the question of compensation does not arise.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    why/how did you pay the deposit, first month's rent, agent's fee and stamp duty if the LL hasnt sign the agreement?
    hk frd likes this.

Correct, although I paid in cash and have itemized receipts.

That was rather unwise if I may say so.

As a landlord I would be a little suspicious of anyone paying thousands of dollars in cash as well.

so technically the fees havnt been paid. you have no rights to compensation. just walk away if you dont like the LL.

oh yeah, get a cheque book.

hk frd likes this.

We were asked for proof of employment before our tenancy agreement - white, British.

Proof of employment is quite different from proof of income, but even then when I was employed a business card was all I every recall giving (and those are obviously easily printed to say whatever you want).

No requirement to provide statements on the contract. Thank you. One of the agents said they wanted statements because of my race. I'm going to record every word of our conversation tomorrow.
    Bring a local as witness.