Like Tree11Likes

Backing out of a tenancy agreement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by hk frd
    No requirement to provide statements on the contract. Thank you. One of the agents said they wanted statements because of my race. I'm going to record every word of our conversation tomorrow.
    Bring a local as witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    That was rather unwise if I may say so.

As a landlord I would be a little suspicious of anyone paying thousands of dollars in cash as well.
    Eh? Peek into any real estate agency and you will see lot's of cash being handed over. Not so uncommon at all me thinks.

Where did I claim that it was uncommon?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    Where did I claim that it was uncommon?
    Implied by stating that landlords would be a little suspicious of anyone paying thousands of dollars in cash when in fact it is common practice here that such transactions (and many others) are done by cash.
    And as far as I can see the OP didn't state that the landlord was suspicious of him because he paid cash; paying by cheque or transfer would not provide any proof that the tenant has a steady income or sufficient funds either.
    Skyhook and hk frd like this.

Grunt, paying cash is perfectly normal here in Hong Kong. If I had something to hide, I wouldn't sign an agreement in my own name.

The landlord went ahead and signed the lease today. Looks like I have myself a new flat.

dumbdonkey likes this.

Good to hear!

hk frd likes this.

Thanks. Now for the inspection, pictures and 'handover ceremony.'

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4