Like Tree11Likes

Backing out of a tenancy agreement

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Backing out of a tenancy agreement

I recently signed an agreement, paid the deposit, first month's rent, agent's fee and stamp duty. The lease is to commence on August 1st. We haven't done the key handover yet. Can I back out at this stage?

NO. Your option are to talk to the Landlord and see whether he/she agrees, and what penalty is imposed.

What if the landlord were to back out?

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 29-07-2012 at 02:06 PM.

You'll be lucky to get back one months rent at such a late stage.

Yup speak to landlord and agent and prepare to grovel.

The property agent has asked me to provide income statements and I do not wish to do so. She told me if the landlord does not accept my statements, I would get a full refund.

Are these statements mentioned in the contract?

If so then fair enough if you signed it, but if not then you go just ignore the request. If the landlord reneges then you should get more than a full refund.

It's an unusual request, by the way.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 29-07-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    bookblogger likes this.

No requirement to provide statements on the contract. Thank you. One of the agents said they wanted statements because of my race. I'm going to record every word of our conversation tomorrow.

bookblogger and Satay Sue like this.

CAP

Wimbledon Village, London (possibly soon to be HK)

Word to the wise, if things have the chance of going sour with the relationship, I'd suggest emailing everything, as well, so it's all documented in writing. If you have a conversation, fine, but then email a recap stating what you discussed (as you understand it). Then also try to evoke a reply from them confirming the details. I had to do this with a letting agent here in London (London agents have a reputation). Best to have everything documented as much as possible.

seahawk likes this.

Cheers, not a bad idea at all. I'll try that later today if necessary, but I have a feeling they're going to scrap the agreement.

i would ask for a fee equivalent of 2 months for compensation.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast