Where to live - limited budget

Closed Thread

Question Where to live - limited budget

Hi everyone

I need some advise regarding accomodation.
    We're a young couple with 2 cats (very kind) and currently living in a walk-up building in Wanchai.

Our current flat has problems (20 square feet bathroom, 5 minutes of hot water, mold growing on a wall from roof leaking, ...) and we want to move somewhere else in 2 months.

I work in Kowloon (the station) and my gf works in Wanchai. We'd like to find a nice place with our limited budget of 12-14k. The size need not be big - I think a net surface of 350-400 square feet would be fine, with, if possible, 2 rooms, as in our current place.

Our idea was to look a bit further away in order to get a nicer flat (with none of the problems mentionned before), but not too far as I am working quite long hours (12-14h /day sometimes). 45-50 minutes commute would be a maximum.

We've looked in places like North Point but have been very disappointed by what we saw (a flat had no window at all, another one was so small we couldn't fit a queen-size bed in any of the 2 bedrooms) for much more than what we are currently paying in Wanchai, which is supposed to be one of the most expensive areas on the Island... (not counting mid-levels or the Peak as rent are more than what we earn put together).

Do you know of any place/area we could start looking into?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I'd suggest West Kowloon.

Start looking at places like Olympic and Lai Chi Kok.
    Both are close to your work and a short trip to Wanchai.

In LCK you can get 550 sq foot two beds for your budget. Look at developments such as Banyan Garden, Pacifica. Etc

Olympic Station
    Kennedy Town
    Sai Yin Pun

Jordan is also a nice place too~very close to kowloon station and mtr.
    My fds just move in an apartment $14 k for 3 bedrooms they are so happy to move from island side to kowloon side as the same amount of money can get a much bigger space.

45 mins commute, probably get a 600-650 sq ft in tai wai, do able to wan chai and kowloon station

20 mins to wan chai, 6 mins to austin+ 5 mins walk to kowlon consider hung hom, far better value for your buck than anywhere in hk island

Yes, used to live in Jordan. It's good and fits your budget. Central, close to the park and you can walk to work and your gf can get to Wan Chai in 20 minutes at peak times.

Saw a nice place there two years ago (though never rented) at $9,500/month. Top floor, airy, sunny, smaller kitchen though and one bed room was small but adequate for you guys I am sure.

Try and get on the harbour side of Austin road. A little bit away from main Temple stree markets.