Like Tree4Likes

[Mid-levels] Hanlun Habitats, 2 Macdonnell, or Oakwood apts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Have you ever been to HK before? You don't seem to know much about it.

1. HK is safe. Everywhere. You don't need to pick a fancy location to be safe. I'm a female and I will walk anywhere and never feel even the slightest bit nervous. Unlike Manila, New York etc etc.

2. There is no such thing as "above the smog". The smog is everywhere. Even when the air looks clear it is still very polluted.

3. If you want a "high class hotel feel" I assume you are going to pay an astronomical sum of money. Your money I guess but limiting yourself to a few options you found on the internet is, in my opinion, crazy. HK has a much wider range of places and locations than that. But, your money.
    Thanks for taking the time to write a response. No, next week will be my first time in HK - hence looking for feedback from you kind people. . I just have no gauge as to if these apt are a decent selection or not.

1) excellent! my questions are from things I've read and heard - but wanted to get your (folks on the ground's) perspective. So thx.

2) Understand. Again, just what i read: some apt websites state that they have cleaner air.

3) I guess thats my whole point to this thread - what are your suggestions then (areas/apts)? If I had a magic wand, sure the high rise, lux hotel-feel wold be my pref (knowing what I know now). Again, I'm open minded and that's why I'm on this msg board.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen
    mid levels, in my opinion, sucks the big one. I just don't get the attraction. However, I am sure you will find many apartments there with that luxury feel, (just as you would be able to find in pretty much any district of the city.
    Good feedback, thx - what areas would you suggest on HK island then?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    Since you are on a trip to look and see and you want immaculate feel, I would suggest you look at the following. None of them are in Midlevels but they offer luxury in different districts which all have different feels. Lots of people hate midlevels and its concrete soulless feeling.
    Check out these places before making final decision:
    1) BelAir in Cyberport.
    2) Leighton Hill in Happy Valley
    3) Larvotto in Ap Lei Chau
    Howard- appreciate the suggestions! Will check 'em out online first.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju
    From your choice of apartments, it looks like you don't have the luxury budget to get the luxury feel you want. How much are you willing/able to pay per month?
    That's interesting - what are your thoughts on the selection the apts that I listed? Details please . Would love to understand what may be the neg connotations to these apts

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju
    Not necessarily short term. I know quite a few people who've lived (or still live) at 2 Macdonnell Road for 1-2 years+. It's a reasonable location (decent supermarket and restaurants across the road in Coda Plaza, and nice stroll through the Botanical Gardens to get to Central) but personally it's not somewhere I'd want to live for more than a few weeks (I stayed there for 6 weeks when I first moved to HK).
    Just curious, why didn't you like 2 Macdonnell?

I'll be living in HK for a 9-12 month assignment (but people keep telling me that they end up falling in love with the city and stay much longer).
    Last edited by Oceanblue11; 07-09-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs
    my mistake - I just realized these are all short term serviced apartments.
    This would be my choice for a nice luxurious feeling short term apartment:
    Pacific Place Apartments | Swire Properties

I hate mid levels so I would avoid all the ones OP has listed.
    I'll check out your suggestion, thx!
    Would love to hear from your words - why do you hate mid-levels?

For a start, have you looked at the photos for Hanlun? Nothing wrong with them but don't exactly scream luxury...
    Really luxurious serviced apartments cost a bomb here, a lot more than Hanlun.

And you are not telling us your budget which makes it a bit tricky to help you.

For example, Pacific Place looks fabulous but rates start at around HK$80,000! (For a 1-bedroom)

Last edited by Satay Sue; 07-09-2012 at 10:55 PM.

(merged posts)

Last edited by Satay Sue; 07-09-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue
    And you are not telling us your budget which makes it a bit tricky to help you.

For example, Pacific Place looks fabulous but rates start at around HK$80,000! (For a 1-bedroom)
    Ok so I viewed all the apts listed above and they are not what I envisioned. The only one that was decent was Lily and im dreading it.

My budget is 40-70k. Can anyone reply within this price range of serviced apts? I'm looking to be close to work in central. At this point, looking at mid levels, soho, central. Thoughts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast